Skip to main content

The Mommy Diaries Part III- Forget Me Not

What an exciting weekend we had! Aiden got to be snuggled and played with by both sets of grandparents! What a blessed little boy. Over the weekend we learned two very important things 1. Don't forget your baby in the car and 2. Babies and caffeine make for a night of little sleep. Here are the details.

On Sunday Aiden got his 6 month pictures taken. It was a zoo at the studio and it had been a very busy weekend so that probably contributed to our scattered brains. The scenario played out like this: My parents came with us to get Aiden's pictures taken and after the photo shoot we went to grab a quick bite and then went back to the studio to view and choose our portraits. Aiden had fallen asleep over lunch and Tom dropped my mom and I off at the door of the studio and said that he and my dad we going to just wait in the car. Since Aiden was sleeping I left him in the car with Tom. I'm told that Tom and Grandpa were deep in conversation as they parked the car and then decided to come in after all. So, I see Tom and Grandpa walk in and come stand by us. I did not see Aiden so I was frantically looking for him because I thought maybe Tom set his car seat somewhere quiet. When I did not see him I yelled (in the middle of the studio),"Tom! Where the heck is my kid?" Then I ran to the door. Tom realized what he had done and ran to the car to get Aiden. I was completely horrified but everyone else thought it was so funny. Honestly, you hear stories about other people forgetting their kid and you wonder how anyone can be that stupid. Well, let me tell you, it was easier to do than I thought. All it takes is a busy day and miscommunication. Poor Aiden. Thankfully he slept through the whole ordeal.

As I wrap up this entry of the Mommy Diaries I must add that drinking a whole pot of tea is not a good idea for a nursing mother. Tom's mother and I enjoyed a lovely lunch at the Mad Hatter Tea Room on Saturday while Grandpa babysat Aiden (it was such a treat!). Anyway, I was happily drinking my tea (no make that chugging my tea as I don't get to sit and enjoy a cup of tea very often anymore) without a care in the world. Well, at 10:30 at night when my son was bouncing off the walls and Tom and Grandpa were saying, "take the battery out of that kid!" I realized that I must have given Aiden quiet a caffeine jolt when I drank all that tea(a whole tea pot full to be exact). He would NOT STOP moving. At 11:30, after lots of singing and pacing the floor, he finally gave in and fell asleep (but slept restlessly all night). I learned my lesson and poor Aiden is taking a monster nap since he is suffering from a caffeine hangover.

Despite our mishaps, we had a lovely weekend and it's now a bit too quiet in our house as we sit here missing our parents. Very soon the holidays will be here and seeing them all again will be something that can't come soon enough.

Comments

The Massons said…
remember the night you stayed at our place, and renae was up off and on all night and ended up sleeping with me? yeah-big bad cauliflower and broccoli! and the night before that, i'd had dr. pepper for supper, and couldn't figure out why she wouldn't go to sleep! ahh the things we have to learn the hard way with the first! fyi-i can TOTALLY, let me repeat TOTALLY picture what you described with Tom deep in conversation, getting out of the car still talking, putting his keys in his pocket and forgetting about the baby in the back seat. TOTALLY! :) oh tom . . .
I'm so glad you had a great weekend with the family! I bet your parents looked all nice and tan :) Anyway, where did you go get his pictures done? Can't wait to see them. Miss you lots, feels like forever!
Scott & Julie said…
Oh Jenny! What a weekend.

Can't wait to see his 6-month pictures.
Mandi said…
Schwoo! What a weekend is right! I can't wait to see Aiden's 6 month pictures - he's getting so grown up :-)

Oh my goodness, I would totally panic if I thought I had lost my kiddo! What a scary feeling!

As for the tea - yup, been there done that. Learned my lesson ;-) Haha! Probably the ONE and ONLY downfall of breastfeeding is that you have to watch a little more carefully what you eat and drink! I remember eating broccoli and TOTALLY regretting it later! Poor baby!

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Creek

 A new year, a new orchard. This year we tried out Apple Creek Orchard and it was a really pretty place. We picked apples, took a hay ride, and the boys had fun with the apple slinger. We were joined by Tom's parents and it feels so good to have them now living close by instead of far away. 

Almost to the finish line.

 It's hard to believe that Aiden turns 18 in one week and walks through graduation in just one month. After more than a decade of homeschooling, 2 years of PSEO, and no less than one million moments that I'll treasure forever, my oldest will be an adult and graduated. Great things are ahead for my boy!

Happy Birthday, Cade!

 My littlest is seven and it's hard  not to be sad. We couldn't be without him, and we're so glad he's ours.  At seven years old Cade loves to do what everyone else is doing. He will NOT play by himself, and maybe it's because he's used to having someone to entertain him all the time. He loves legos and soccer. He also loves to read. I am ALWAYS finding Cade trying to tackle reading a book he probably isn't quite ready for. Lately he's been trying to read The Hobbit. While he's able to read all the words, he just doesn't have the depth of understanding to read it independently quite yet. He LOVES Tom Sawyer so he was delighted to find an abridged version to read.  Cade makes up his own mind about things. He will NOT be bossed around. He holds his own, so I don't worry about his brothers pushing him over. Cade also won't be pushed over physically. He is one tough kid. If Cade is crying, I know he is actually hurt because he never cries ove...