My Grandpa Jorgensen was awesome! He went to live with Jesus when I was only 5, but I have really fun memories of him. One fun thing that I think of often is his love of marshmellows! I get my love of marshmellows from him(I allow myself one bag per week). He used to keep a bag in his car...it was such a fun treat to get to ride with him b/c you could count on eating marshmellows on the way! My Grandpa was my Dad's best friend and advisor. Grandpa was very down to earth and always gave my Dad great advice growing up which he passed on to us (you must know that this advice and all his sayings were not always politically correct, but they were very brutally honest and true...kind of like a reality jolt). Growing up we could count on my Dad to frequently tell us what Grandpa Jorgensen would say in all sorts of situations. And Dad, if you are reading this just know that all those times when you thought we weren't listening, well...we were! Anyway, you must know that I am a non fiction read-aholic! If I have a question about something, I get a book. Parenting is one of my passions and many years before Aiden was born I began reading parenting books. I like to know all the ideas and methods. I like to be informed on which parenting expert or philosophy is popular or not popular. I weigh each book carefully. When I go to Border's I've had to actually stop going to the parenting section because when I see what I haven't read I get so much anxiety! Obviously all this reading leads me to wonder which way is the best way and I constantly question and evaluate. As wonderful as children are it can be so stressful to know that their life is in your hands. But, there is one piece of advice that my parents have shared with me. This piece of advice was given to my parents by none other than my Grandpa Jorgensen. At the end of the day, this is the advice that I always go back to. Grandpa Jorgensen simply said this, "You just gotta live WITH your kids."
That's so simple, right? Yet for me that short bit of instruction has deep meaning. When I find myself spinning with so many options when it comes to parenting methods, I throw it all out and just simply live *with* Aiden. For me, this means that Aiden is just a miniature version of an adult. He has preferences and needs and I don't need to get too shook up about his likes or dislikes. I don't force the things that aren't important. I don't flip out if he needs to sleep in my bed for the night. I don't get concerned if he needs an extra nap or if he skips a feeding. We take him with us most everywhere as he is part of our family. I hold him all that I can and meet his needs based on his cues. I skip out on the laundry and help him stack his blocks so he can knock them over. I want him to feel that he is an important and equal part of us and not his own separate unit that needs to be managed or manipulated. While he does need instruction and boundaries, we balance that and we just live life together. Forever. So, thanks Grandpa Jorgensen! Those wise words have guided me far more than any book I've read. They've kept me sane and I know Aiden has appreciated them. Aiden knows a little bit about who you are because you spoke wisdom to my parents many years ago that now guide how your great grandchild is raised. You left a legacy, and for that we are thankful. Aiden will most certainly grow up hearing, "Do you know what your Grandpa Jorgensen would say?"
*If you are interested in a good read (and a convicting read!) my favorite parenting book is Heartfelt Discipline by Clay Clarkson.
That's so simple, right? Yet for me that short bit of instruction has deep meaning. When I find myself spinning with so many options when it comes to parenting methods, I throw it all out and just simply live *with* Aiden. For me, this means that Aiden is just a miniature version of an adult. He has preferences and needs and I don't need to get too shook up about his likes or dislikes. I don't force the things that aren't important. I don't flip out if he needs to sleep in my bed for the night. I don't get concerned if he needs an extra nap or if he skips a feeding. We take him with us most everywhere as he is part of our family. I hold him all that I can and meet his needs based on his cues. I skip out on the laundry and help him stack his blocks so he can knock them over. I want him to feel that he is an important and equal part of us and not his own separate unit that needs to be managed or manipulated. While he does need instruction and boundaries, we balance that and we just live life together. Forever. So, thanks Grandpa Jorgensen! Those wise words have guided me far more than any book I've read. They've kept me sane and I know Aiden has appreciated them. Aiden knows a little bit about who you are because you spoke wisdom to my parents many years ago that now guide how your great grandchild is raised. You left a legacy, and for that we are thankful. Aiden will most certainly grow up hearing, "Do you know what your Grandpa Jorgensen would say?"
*If you are interested in a good read (and a convicting read!) my favorite parenting book is Heartfelt Discipline by Clay Clarkson.
Comments