Skip to main content

Happy Anniversary to Us!

Tomorrow Tom and I will celebrate our 5th anniversary! I can't believe it's been five years. Our life looks nothing like I pictured it would be on our wedding day (God had plans of His own) but I have not been disappointed. As I reflect, it's been a bit of a busy 5 years. We both graduated from ISU, we moved to MN, I finished my master's degree and Tom started his master's (although that's on hold for now) and we had a baby. I do hope that the next five years is a little more uneventful, but only God knows that. Hopefully we'll add another little one to our family in the next half a decade. Beyond that, I really have no plans.

Aside from the changes, I really do love Tom more and more each day. The "puppy love" has faded and been replaced by deep commitment, companionship, and a passion to see each other grow in faith, grow closer as a couple, and grow more as individuals. I was just thinking today of all the reasons that I love Tom. He is very laid back and I need that since I can be very rigid at times. He is driven to provide for his family and walk always in God's favor. This year he has shown his integrity in very challenging situations and I am so proud of him. I love Tom as my husband and this year I've also loved him as the father of my child. I LOVE being a mother and I LOVE that Tom and I are on the same page in terms of our parenting style. Tom is an attached parent by nature and that means so much to me.

In these past five years I think our marriage has shined during some challenges and I know that Tom and I can make it through anything. It's funny that I had almost forgotten about our anniversary until my mom reminded me. We haven't really ever done more than go out for dinner to celebrate especially since it's a really busy time of year. My mom told me that 5 years is somewhat of a milestone, and I suppose it is, but since I feel so solid about us it doesn't seem like an accomplishment to me. Some people probably think that we're crazy for not celebrating, but I think there is something really romantic about a solid marriage and an anniversary just like any other day. It's a quiet kind of love that stands the test of time. I'm sure we'll wake up and say "Happy Anniversary" and "I love you" and that will be perfect.

Comments

Happy Anniversary!!! Love you guys lots.
The Massons said…
i was just thinking how i needed to comment or blog about the fact that you got married FIVE years ago!!! five jenny! i remember that wedding so well. i loved living wth you the semester before we we both planned our weddings, and then eagerly awaiting your return from the honeymoon so i could hear the nitty gritty :) happy anniversary to two of our best friends!
Anonymous said…
Yay! Happy anniversary Jenny and Tom! I remember the spring semester freshman year you had to drive Tom to Clinton (and your attitude about it!) . . . imagine my surprise when he showed up that fall to help us move into our apartment. :) I'm so happy for you guys and how God is growing you closer as a family. Love you!
Mandi said…
Happy anniversary!! I didn't realize you guys were married just a couple days before us! Lol, Julie was one busy little bridesmaid ;-)
rebadawn said…
Happy Anniversary!!!
Joel and Nicole said…
I hope you guys have a nice, cozy day with all this snow. You're right, every day is a gift enough with a wonderful husband. Have a great Anniversary Jenny! We miss you guys.

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Creek

 A new year, a new orchard. This year we tried out Apple Creek Orchard and it was a really pretty place. We picked apples, took a hay ride, and the boys had fun with the apple slinger. We were joined by Tom's parents and it feels so good to have them now living close by instead of far away. 

Almost to the finish line.

 It's hard to believe that Aiden turns 18 in one week and walks through graduation in just one month. After more than a decade of homeschooling, 2 years of PSEO, and no less than one million moments that I'll treasure forever, my oldest will be an adult and graduated. Great things are ahead for my boy!

Happy Birthday, Cade!

 My littlest is seven and it's hard  not to be sad. We couldn't be without him, and we're so glad he's ours.  At seven years old Cade loves to do what everyone else is doing. He will NOT play by himself, and maybe it's because he's used to having someone to entertain him all the time. He loves legos and soccer. He also loves to read. I am ALWAYS finding Cade trying to tackle reading a book he probably isn't quite ready for. Lately he's been trying to read The Hobbit. While he's able to read all the words, he just doesn't have the depth of understanding to read it independently quite yet. He LOVES Tom Sawyer so he was delighted to find an abridged version to read.  Cade makes up his own mind about things. He will NOT be bossed around. He holds his own, so I don't worry about his brothers pushing him over. Cade also won't be pushed over physically. He is one tough kid. If Cade is crying, I know he is actually hurt because he never cries ove...