Edited to add:
I made brownies to satisfy my sweet tooth and used this recipe. They weren't bad, but I won't make them again. I'm super glad that I didn't waste my organic sugar on them because they weren't worth it. ;) For homemade brownies King Arthur has the best, in my opinion. The best brownies use Dutch Pressed Cocoa....cheap baking varieties just don't cut it. Try the Dutch Pressed and thank me later. :) Happy Baking!
____________________________________________________________
I think I'm calling it quits with DIY projects. Well, maybe not all projects, but the craft that I attempted to make definitely flopped. I felted a wool sweater today that I wanted to turn into mittens and it didn't work. I thought it was fool proof, but it wasn't. I researched everything and I really thought I'd have these cutie patootie pink striped mittens, but no. Bummer. Maybe I'll still be able to pull off the pretend food I want to make for Aiden out of felt. But after today I'm thinking that I might just be buying that from someone who is a little more skilled with crafts than I am. If it doesn't involve a hot glue gun, I think it's out of my league.
I also tried a new recipe today. Thankfully, this turned out or I'd feel like a real looser wife and mama. :) I got this recipe from someone at church and I was anxious to try it. Aiden LOVES chicken and rice and I've been looking for a good recipe that didn't have any "cream of" soups in the ingredients. This recipe was everything I'd been looking for and the family LOVED it.
Wild Rice Chicken
1 6 ounce package Uncle Ben's original long grain and wild rice
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp salt
dash pepper
1 cup 1/2 and 1/2
1 cup chicken broth
2 cups cooked, chopped chicken
1/4 cup slivered almonds
Cook contents of rice and seasoning packet according to pkg. While rice is cooking melt butter in large saucepan. Add onion and cook over low heat til tender. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Gradually stir in 1/2 and 1/2 and broth (makes rue). Stirring until thickened . Stir in chicken, almonds, and cooked rice. Pour into 2 qt. greased casserole. Bake uncovered at 400 for 30 min. Also great with turkey.
*The only thing I did differently was use 2% milk instead of 1/2 and 1/2. I figured that was a little better for Tom's cholesterol. Actually, who am I kidding? I'm always up for a little 1/2 and 1/2! The real reason I didn't use 1/2 and 1/2 is because I didn't have any and was too lazy to go to the store. I bet it is even more yummy with 1/2 and 1/2. Maybe next time.....
Now that dinner is over and my kitchen is cleaned up I've developed a sweet tooth. I guess I'm going to have to make some cookies or go over to Steph's house and steal a couple of these.
I made brownies to satisfy my sweet tooth and used this recipe. They weren't bad, but I won't make them again. I'm super glad that I didn't waste my organic sugar on them because they weren't worth it. ;) For homemade brownies King Arthur has the best, in my opinion. The best brownies use Dutch Pressed Cocoa....cheap baking varieties just don't cut it. Try the Dutch Pressed and thank me later. :) Happy Baking!
____________________________________________________________
I think I'm calling it quits with DIY projects. Well, maybe not all projects, but the craft that I attempted to make definitely flopped. I felted a wool sweater today that I wanted to turn into mittens and it didn't work. I thought it was fool proof, but it wasn't. I researched everything and I really thought I'd have these cutie patootie pink striped mittens, but no. Bummer. Maybe I'll still be able to pull off the pretend food I want to make for Aiden out of felt. But after today I'm thinking that I might just be buying that from someone who is a little more skilled with crafts than I am. If it doesn't involve a hot glue gun, I think it's out of my league.
I also tried a new recipe today. Thankfully, this turned out or I'd feel like a real looser wife and mama. :) I got this recipe from someone at church and I was anxious to try it. Aiden LOVES chicken and rice and I've been looking for a good recipe that didn't have any "cream of" soups in the ingredients. This recipe was everything I'd been looking for and the family LOVED it.
Wild Rice Chicken
1 6 ounce package Uncle Ben's original long grain and wild rice
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp salt
dash pepper
1 cup 1/2 and 1/2
1 cup chicken broth
2 cups cooked, chopped chicken
1/4 cup slivered almonds
Cook contents of rice and seasoning packet according to pkg. While rice is cooking melt butter in large saucepan. Add onion and cook over low heat til tender. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Gradually stir in 1/2 and 1/2 and broth (makes rue). Stirring until thickened . Stir in chicken, almonds, and cooked rice. Pour into 2 qt. greased casserole. Bake uncovered at 400 for 30 min. Also great with turkey.
*The only thing I did differently was use 2% milk instead of 1/2 and 1/2. I figured that was a little better for Tom's cholesterol. Actually, who am I kidding? I'm always up for a little 1/2 and 1/2! The real reason I didn't use 1/2 and 1/2 is because I didn't have any and was too lazy to go to the store. I bet it is even more yummy with 1/2 and 1/2. Maybe next time.....
Now that dinner is over and my kitchen is cleaned up I've developed a sweet tooth. I guess I'm going to have to make some cookies or go over to Steph's house and steal a couple of these.
Comments
I should have left some toffee bars at your house because I've been snacking on them all day!