Skip to main content

MinneSNOWta

I say it every year, but I think this Christmas was my favorite. :) I guess they just keep getting better and better. I think this year was special because it was our first Christmas at the cabin and the longer I live in Minnesota the more I embrace the culture. We had a blizzard. Outside looked the The Tundra....and I LOVED it. Maybe I didn't love the cold, but I LOVED the coziness.

(see the ice house in the background? More on that later.)

The cabin is so great mostly because my Dad has this great vision for what he wants it to be. We laugh at all the things he wants to get but then thank him for it later. What a special place he has created. My Dad gets the prize for "seizing the day" and for making it possible for us to seize the day. Had it been left up to me that ice house would have been the first thing to get put in the dumpster when we moved in. But, my Dad saw it as the diamond in the rough and rescued it. And thank goodness he did. The boys spent the better part of a day and a half in that thing. Don't think they were totally roughing it because they did have a heater in there. I myself never ventured out but I'm guessing between the tall tales and the heater it was pretty toasty in there.


I'm pretty sure that the boys could have been cast members for Grumpy Old Men. Ah, I so love that movie. :)




They boys must have liked it out there because this fish is as good as it gets. No bragging rights were won from this fish off.


Cheers! Or should I say Skoll!! For Christmas Erik bought us honest to goodness Norweign Liqour...and gave us a history lesson to with it. It was the first liquor to be recorded that was drank by the Vikings and in the making it must cross the Equator twice. You learn something new everyday. Too much of that stuff will put hairs on your chest so I tried to restrain myself from chugging too much. :)


My all time favorite picture! Uncle Erik played and played with Aiden. And Aiden LOVED it. Mama is just not that cool. Ami, if you send me your pictures I'll brag about how much Aiden loves you too. :)


I tried it out for myself a few times and that orange sled is nothing to be laughed at. It made a pretty good run.


It's all about tradition. Aiden always sits on Pappy's lap and reads the Christmas story.


My Mom's vision comes into play with Gingerbread houses. Every year she buys all the supplies and cleans up the huge mess. We used to grumble about it in the years when we thought we were too cool, but now we all try to out-gingerbread (or out-grahm cracker, rather) each other. Some people are more artsy than others and we'll leave it at that.


I have loads of more pictures to share but I wanted to post a few before Christmas round 2 takes place. The cabin just might have been more magical in the winter than it was in the summer and I'm itching to head back up and try out my ice skates on the rink my Dad cleared on the lake. I'm pretty sure nothing is more romantic than ice skating on your very own lake. Thanks Mom and Dad! Coming home was really hard and that's a good thing. We'll be back soon!

Comments

Jenny said…
Jenny - the Norweigan liquer brought back all the memories of your love of being Norweigan, only to find out you had a trace of German in there. :) Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas! I'm looking forward to being with family, but I wish we could do it in Florida!
The Massons said…
I feel cold just looking at them ice fishing! Blech! How are the felt foods coming along?

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Creek

 A new year, a new orchard. This year we tried out Apple Creek Orchard and it was a really pretty place. We picked apples, took a hay ride, and the boys had fun with the apple slinger. We were joined by Tom's parents and it feels so good to have them now living close by instead of far away. 

Almost to the finish line.

 It's hard to believe that Aiden turns 18 in one week and walks through graduation in just one month. After more than a decade of homeschooling, 2 years of PSEO, and no less than one million moments that I'll treasure forever, my oldest will be an adult and graduated. Great things are ahead for my boy!

Happy Birthday, Cade!

 My littlest is seven and it's hard  not to be sad. We couldn't be without him, and we're so glad he's ours.  At seven years old Cade loves to do what everyone else is doing. He will NOT play by himself, and maybe it's because he's used to having someone to entertain him all the time. He loves legos and soccer. He also loves to read. I am ALWAYS finding Cade trying to tackle reading a book he probably isn't quite ready for. Lately he's been trying to read The Hobbit. While he's able to read all the words, he just doesn't have the depth of understanding to read it independently quite yet. He LOVES Tom Sawyer so he was delighted to find an abridged version to read.  Cade makes up his own mind about things. He will NOT be bossed around. He holds his own, so I don't worry about his brothers pushing him over. Cade also won't be pushed over physically. He is one tough kid. If Cade is crying, I know he is actually hurt because he never cries ove...