Finding the perfect name is no easy task. I was 9 months pregnant before we agreed on "Aiden" and while I love the name and it fits him perfectly, it is also the #1 most popular name of the DECADE! We probably would have chosen it anyway, but Aiden will probably hate us when he goes to school and there are 4 other Aidens in his class of 15.
So...this time around we are looking for that "perfect" name. Not unusual, not common, with a meaning that we love, and a name with decent initials. It's tough. We think we have a name picked out for a boy and girl and I've been scouring every baby name list there is trying to make sure it's not a growing trend, the name of some less than desirable celebrity, or means something wierd in a different language. In my research I've read many, many lists....exotic baby names, trendy baby names, unique names, sporty names, old fashioned names, contemporary names....and many more. Every now and again I come across a name that makes me laugh. Specifically I refuse to name my child Blade, Picabo, Shakira, or Favre. What are some people thinking?? Thankfully, the names we've chosen haven't made any "list" which I'm hoping is a good thing.
Overall I feel a sense of urgency. I want the baby to be here NOW so I can name him or her and therefore reduce my chances of anyone else thinking up and using "our" name. I also want to fast forward 5-10 years to make sure that millions of others weren't thinking the same thing I was thinking when choosing a name and therefore end up with another "most popular name of the decade." We find out the sex of our baby on July 13th. Chances are good we are going to not only tell the sex, but also the name. I'm worried that people will steal our name, but I'm also thinking if we put it out there it will deter others from using it. Just to let you all know....we've actually had these names picked out for YEARS, so if you use the name we've chosen for your baby that is born before ours, no offense but we'll probably still use it.
So...this time around we are looking for that "perfect" name. Not unusual, not common, with a meaning that we love, and a name with decent initials. It's tough. We think we have a name picked out for a boy and girl and I've been scouring every baby name list there is trying to make sure it's not a growing trend, the name of some less than desirable celebrity, or means something wierd in a different language. In my research I've read many, many lists....exotic baby names, trendy baby names, unique names, sporty names, old fashioned names, contemporary names....and many more. Every now and again I come across a name that makes me laugh. Specifically I refuse to name my child Blade, Picabo, Shakira, or Favre. What are some people thinking?? Thankfully, the names we've chosen haven't made any "list" which I'm hoping is a good thing.
Overall I feel a sense of urgency. I want the baby to be here NOW so I can name him or her and therefore reduce my chances of anyone else thinking up and using "our" name. I also want to fast forward 5-10 years to make sure that millions of others weren't thinking the same thing I was thinking when choosing a name and therefore end up with another "most popular name of the decade." We find out the sex of our baby on July 13th. Chances are good we are going to not only tell the sex, but also the name. I'm worried that people will steal our name, but I'm also thinking if we put it out there it will deter others from using it. Just to let you all know....we've actually had these names picked out for YEARS, so if you use the name we've chosen for your baby that is born before ours, no offense but we'll probably still use it.
Comments