Skip to main content

Delish!

I know, I know..if you are waiting to hear our sweet baby's name, you probably don't want a recipe post. Trust me. If you try this recipe you'll be glad I posted it. Now, if you cook for a man who turns up his nose at meatless dinners, you may have to adjust this recipe. Thankfully, oh thankfully, I have a husband who has a palate for a variety of foods. So...here it is!

California Grilled Veggie Sandwiches
Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/8 cup olive oil
  • 1 cup sliced red bell peppers
  • 1 small zucchini, sliced
  • 1 red onion, sliced
  • 1 small yellow squash, sliced
  • 2 (4-x6-inch) focaccia bread pieces, split horizontally
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

Directions

  1. In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, minced garlic, and lemon juice. Set aside in the refrigerator.
  2. Preheat the grill for high heat.
  3. Brush vegetables with olive oil on each side. Brush grate with oil. Place bell peppers and zucchini closest to the middle of the grill, and set onion and squash pieces around them. Cook for about 3 minutes, turn, and cook for another 3 minutes. The peppers may take a bit longer. Remove from grill, and set aside.
  4. Spread some of the mayonnaise mixture on the cut sides of the bread, and sprinkle each one with feta cheese. Place on the grill cheese side up, and cover with lid for 2 to 3 minutes. This will warm the bread, and slightly melt the cheese. Watch carefully so the bottoms don't burn. Remove from grill, and layer with the vegetables. Enjoy as open faced grilled sandwiches.
I made the following modifications....
1. I used mushrooms instead of squash.
2. I used flat bread instead of foccia because a) it was on sale and 2) it was a bit thinner and I served these as closed faced sandwiches
3. I used mozzarella cheese instead of feta b/c that is what I had.
4. I wanted to buy a grill basket this week but never made it to the store. So, instead I just put all the veggies on a cookie sheet and put that on the grill. It worked great.

Tom told me he would take these over cheese burgers. I'd say that is a pretty good review!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Creek

 A new year, a new orchard. This year we tried out Apple Creek Orchard and it was a really pretty place. We picked apples, took a hay ride, and the boys had fun with the apple slinger. We were joined by Tom's parents and it feels so good to have them now living close by instead of far away. 

Almost to the finish line.

 It's hard to believe that Aiden turns 18 in one week and walks through graduation in just one month. After more than a decade of homeschooling, 2 years of PSEO, and no less than one million moments that I'll treasure forever, my oldest will be an adult and graduated. Great things are ahead for my boy!

Happy Birthday, Cade!

 My littlest is seven and it's hard  not to be sad. We couldn't be without him, and we're so glad he's ours.  At seven years old Cade loves to do what everyone else is doing. He will NOT play by himself, and maybe it's because he's used to having someone to entertain him all the time. He loves legos and soccer. He also loves to read. I am ALWAYS finding Cade trying to tackle reading a book he probably isn't quite ready for. Lately he's been trying to read The Hobbit. While he's able to read all the words, he just doesn't have the depth of understanding to read it independently quite yet. He LOVES Tom Sawyer so he was delighted to find an abridged version to read.  Cade makes up his own mind about things. He will NOT be bossed around. He holds his own, so I don't worry about his brothers pushing him over. Cade also won't be pushed over physically. He is one tough kid. If Cade is crying, I know he is actually hurt because he never cries ove...