I'm approaching year 2 of preschool with Aiden. And while I've made no decision on whether or not to keep him home for the long haul, I'm so glad I've done a couple years at home so I know a little bit about what I'd be getting myself into should I decide that school at home is what is best for us. Last year I put together my own curriculum. It was easy-peasy since school with a 2 year old is mostly about playing and just learning letters and numbers. School with a 3 year old is still just about playing, but Aiden could be classified as a pre-emergent reader. He knows letters, he knows a lot of sounds, he can rhyme, he knows books move left to right, and he's starting to understand patterns and sequences. He has yet to put together sounds and doesn't totally understand that sounds combine, but he's getting there. At just 3 he knows alot! Just because he could be reading certainly doesn't mean that he has to read so I have time to build a really solid foundation. To do this I needed help. I might have a teaching degree and I've even taught a year or 2, but I do not have a reading endorsement. Getting a reading endorsement means you have to do an additional semester post graduation. After 5 years of college and 2 majors there was NO way I was going back....after all I don't even like teaching! After much research and many recommendations I finally decided on Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. It just came in the mail today and I've been reading through it feeling overwhelmed and excited! What I love about this book is the phonics foundation it will build. I also love that each lesson is just 15ish minutes and tells you exactly what to do. What I don't love about this book is that it is all business. It's not really about loving to read so I'm looking at some other curriculum to supplement with. I'm wanting to start school just after Labor Day so I better decide soon. I have bought a few other things here and there and need to finalize my daily plans. I just hope my little student is as excited as I am.
Comments