I've been planning this birth since I first found out I was pregnant. Many woman share their birth stories and are excited to do so, but Aiden's birth was so awful I don't think I will ever share all the details. I just don't want to relive it. As awful as it was, it was also an eye opening and learning experience. I learned the kind of birth that I don't want. I also learned about the kind of birth that so many woman have and learned that it doesn't have to be that way. I didn't make good choices surrounding Aiden's birth. I blindly chose an OB and a hospital and said "yes" to whatever the doctor and nursing staff suggested. After 30 hours of labor, mostly by myself since Tom had no idea what to do and the nurses were less than helpful, I gave birth via c-section to a lifeless baby who spent 5 days in the NICU. The most awful part is I have no memory of giving birth or holding Aiden for the first time. A couple years after having Aiden I started reading about the natural process of birth and my eyes where opened to the beautiful experience it could be. Part of what intrigued me the most was the support of a Doula. Doula is a Greek word for woman servant and during labor and delivery a Doula is just that....a support and caretaker of a woman during that time. Studies have proven that when a doula is used less medical intervention is needed. Using a Doula also increases the satisfaction of labor outcomes and increases marital satisfaction. What an awesome role to play! I decided that I would LOVE to be part of the Doula movement so I quickly signed up for Doula training. I experienced an awesome 3 day weekend with woman who feel passionately about the process of birth and want to offer support to woman during that special time. My Doula trainer was actually trained by Penny Simkin herself who is the mother and pioneer of the doula movement. I'm currently working on my certification. To be a Doula you certainly don't have to be certified, but it's the path I've chosen. Shortly after my training I attended my first birth. Even though the birth did not go as planned it is one of my life's most memorable moments. The mama was amazing and that little baby will always hold a special place in my heart. After that birth I learned that I was pregnant and have not attended other births since. It's a calling that is on hold until my own little one allows me to leave at a moments notice, but a calling that I can't wait to start pursuing again.
Obviously, since I feel so passionately about Doulas I have chosen one for myself. I am terrified of birth. With Aiden I was never scared because I was completely unaware of the birth process and complications. Now that I've experienced birth I'm aware of everything I must do and everything that could go wrong. However, when I remind myself that my Doula will be there I have renewed confidence. Even if birth doesn't go according to plan, with my midwife and Doula I know that everything in our power will be done to make sure that I experience a natural, positive, and HEALTHY birth.
Being a Doula and finding a Doula in the Twin Cities is easy! Doulas are widely accepted in the area and Minnesota is the first and only state with a place for the Doulas name on the hospital admittance form. I am a part of the Childbrith Collective which is a great group of woman who are committed to empowering and educating woman about childbirth. I'll leave you with a couple pictures from the first birth I attended. Coming up is another post about the rest of the birth plan for sweet little Sage.
The amazing woman in these pictures has so sweetly agreed to be my Doula!
Can you believe that this picture was taken about 40 hours into labor? What an amazing Mama!
Obviously, since I feel so passionately about Doulas I have chosen one for myself. I am terrified of birth. With Aiden I was never scared because I was completely unaware of the birth process and complications. Now that I've experienced birth I'm aware of everything I must do and everything that could go wrong. However, when I remind myself that my Doula will be there I have renewed confidence. Even if birth doesn't go according to plan, with my midwife and Doula I know that everything in our power will be done to make sure that I experience a natural, positive, and HEALTHY birth.
Being a Doula and finding a Doula in the Twin Cities is easy! Doulas are widely accepted in the area and Minnesota is the first and only state with a place for the Doulas name on the hospital admittance form. I am a part of the Childbrith Collective which is a great group of woman who are committed to empowering and educating woman about childbirth. I'll leave you with a couple pictures from the first birth I attended. Coming up is another post about the rest of the birth plan for sweet little Sage.
The amazing woman in these pictures has so sweetly agreed to be my Doula!
Can you believe that this picture was taken about 40 hours into labor? What an amazing Mama!
Comments