Last week we celebrated Tom's Dad's 70th Birthday. In our true family fashion we had a delicious steak and potato dinner topped off with a bit of wine and lots of birthday cake. The entire family was able to be there and finding a date that worked for everyone was no small task and we list that at the top of our blessing list. :)
After dinner the family sat down and one by one each child and grandchild shared memories and stories about Dad. For a chunk of this time I was in the other room feeding Sage, but I wasn't out of ear shot. And hearing the family laugh together and cry together over the blessings they received because of their Dad was such a blessing to me. How blessed I am to have married into a family such as this one. Sadly, I think it's rare that a family is as closely bonded as ours. I know the sharing could have lasted into the wee hours of the morning and beyond because the precious and often funny stories, memories, and lessons from Dad are immeasurable. Tom talked about how his Dad always makes time for people. Tom's Dad is willing to drop anything he's doing to help a friend or family member.....or maybe even someone he doesn't even know. And I know it would be encouraging and honoring to both Tom and his dad for me to say that Tom is the same way. People always come before task for Tom. He has a gift to make people feel included and welcome just as his dad does. I know that his father modeled this well. In fact, my first time at the lake I experienced this! I felt so welcome and it's hard to believe that was 10 years ago! Not may people love their in-laws. I certainly love mine. I keep thinking that 70 years has brought 70 times 7 blessings....too many to count, never ending, and flowing from one generation to the next.
Happy Birthday, Dad! You are so loved!
After dinner the family sat down and one by one each child and grandchild shared memories and stories about Dad. For a chunk of this time I was in the other room feeding Sage, but I wasn't out of ear shot. And hearing the family laugh together and cry together over the blessings they received because of their Dad was such a blessing to me. How blessed I am to have married into a family such as this one. Sadly, I think it's rare that a family is as closely bonded as ours. I know the sharing could have lasted into the wee hours of the morning and beyond because the precious and often funny stories, memories, and lessons from Dad are immeasurable. Tom talked about how his Dad always makes time for people. Tom's Dad is willing to drop anything he's doing to help a friend or family member.....or maybe even someone he doesn't even know. And I know it would be encouraging and honoring to both Tom and his dad for me to say that Tom is the same way. People always come before task for Tom. He has a gift to make people feel included and welcome just as his dad does. I know that his father modeled this well. In fact, my first time at the lake I experienced this! I felt so welcome and it's hard to believe that was 10 years ago! Not may people love their in-laws. I certainly love mine. I keep thinking that 70 years has brought 70 times 7 blessings....too many to count, never ending, and flowing from one generation to the next.
Happy Birthday, Dad! You are so loved!
Comments