Skip to main content

Capture the Moment

The night hadn't started off that well. Tom was working late (and I do mean LATE), Aiden had been in bed since 7 but was still awake at 9, and I was bouncing Sage trying to keep the fussies at bay. Clearly Aiden was having a hard time sleeping (which happens frequently when he knows his Daddy isn't home). He had been out of bed to ask for water (twice) and he was up because he thought he saw a bug. He purposely fell out of bed while he was awake (twice), and he was up again because he wanted different jammies (evidently he was too hot). After I got Sage ready for bed I went into Aiden's room and sat in his rocking chair to rock with Sage and help Aiden fall asleep. Aiden sat up and said, "Mama, it's so great to be all together. We just need Daddy here now." I thought to myself, "Yes, it is so great to be all together." And in that moment I was no longer disgruntled about missing the ending to Extreme Makeover Home Edition. I sat there with my boys and Aiden's Praise Baby CD was playing "Blessed be the Name of the Lord." And the song couldn't have been more fitting. I thought to myself "Blessed be the Name of the Lord for this incredible blessing I have." I never thought I'd get the privilege of staying home with my sweet babies everyday. As I rocked in the chair I was reminded that the days are long but the years are short. Goodness knows our life isn't perfect, but tonight my life was the picture of a "happily ever after story." I was also reminded that the cream always rises to the top. Someday I won't remember that today Aiden spilled bubbles all over the floor and squirted shaving cream all over the rug. I won't remember the things that were stressful or challenging, but I will remember God's goodness and his faithfulness and the two little boys who own my heart. I'll remember the blessing of feeling like I'm living in the picture of a beautiful magazine and I'll thank God for these times and for my sweet little boys who helped me live in the moment.

Blessed be the name of the LORD now and forever. Psalm 113:2

Comments

Marme said…
Life doesn't get any better than that! Love, Dad

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Creek

 A new year, a new orchard. This year we tried out Apple Creek Orchard and it was a really pretty place. We picked apples, took a hay ride, and the boys had fun with the apple slinger. We were joined by Tom's parents and it feels so good to have them now living close by instead of far away. 

Almost to the finish line.

 It's hard to believe that Aiden turns 18 in one week and walks through graduation in just one month. After more than a decade of homeschooling, 2 years of PSEO, and no less than one million moments that I'll treasure forever, my oldest will be an adult and graduated. Great things are ahead for my boy!

Happy Birthday, Cade!

 My littlest is seven and it's hard  not to be sad. We couldn't be without him, and we're so glad he's ours.  At seven years old Cade loves to do what everyone else is doing. He will NOT play by himself, and maybe it's because he's used to having someone to entertain him all the time. He loves legos and soccer. He also loves to read. I am ALWAYS finding Cade trying to tackle reading a book he probably isn't quite ready for. Lately he's been trying to read The Hobbit. While he's able to read all the words, he just doesn't have the depth of understanding to read it independently quite yet. He LOVES Tom Sawyer so he was delighted to find an abridged version to read.  Cade makes up his own mind about things. He will NOT be bossed around. He holds his own, so I don't worry about his brothers pushing him over. Cade also won't be pushed over physically. He is one tough kid. If Cade is crying, I know he is actually hurt because he never cries ove...