Skip to main content

Shenanigans

My one three year old little boy often seems like 3 children rolled into one. I can't keep up with his endeavors, his curiosities, or his mischief. I find things around the house that are quite funny (although sometimes messy, naughty, and unnerving). I've seen Aiden do things that make me cringe. Just the other day right before my very eyes I saw Aiden get a running start and do a hurdle over Sage (who was playing on the floor). I asked Aiden what on earth he was thinking (we are trying really hard to learn the concept of "think before you act"). Aiden told me he was trying to be Jack Be Nimble. When you are three this is a perfectly acceptable reason to jump over your baby brother. What was I to say? I finally just told Aiden that jumping over babies and candlesticks were just not a good idea. I couldn't be too mad because I hadn't ever told him not to jump over his baby brother.

This week I found my face soap squirted out all over the tub and last night as we were in the middle of the dreaded bedtime routine after getting home from church I found that Aiden had dumped a bottle of expensive soap all over the bathroom floor. After yelling, "Aiden Thomas!" I just shut myself in the bathroom. It had been a long day. I was still sitting in the bathroom when a little yellow piece of paper was slid under the door with some scribbles on it. I opened the door to find Aiden who told me the piece of paper said, "Mama, please don't be mean." As I was trying not to laugh I was told by Daddy that the piece of paper was supposed to say, "Mama, I love you and I will try to obey." Tom said Aiden had come running downstairs, frantically climbed into his lap, and said, "Daddy!!! Mama said my WHOLE name! She went in the bathroom and closed the door. Mama is FREAKING out!" HAHA. They had written a note together but I guess the message got lost in translation.

Let's not forget about Sunday morning. It's important to know that Aiden has a sand and water table that I clean up in the winter and bring inside to fill with something other than sand. This year I put beans in it. In the Sunday morning rush I didn't notice anything lumpy in my boots until I was sitting in church and felt little things inside. Upon further investigation I found several beans in each boot. I guess the rule of leaving the beans in the bean table is quite hard to follow.

The other interesting thing about Sunday morning is that Aiden's dress shoes went missing. We looked EVERYWHERE! As we were looking Aiden said, "Daddy, sometimes shoes might get thrown away." Hmmm...that sounds pretty suspicious. Aiden won't confess but I wish he would. I need to know if I should keep looking or buy a new pair. That little stinker!

The last thing I can think of that is noteworthy from last week happened Friday night. Tom and Aiden were wrestling. Aiden grabbed Tom's leg and Tom began to drag Aiden around until Aiden's head accidentally made contact with the rocking chair. I heard the thud. It sounded awful and I braced myself for the crying. There was a lot of crying and I saw the blood. There was a lot of blood. When I looked at the cut there was no denying that Aiden needed stitches. Tom felt awful. Aiden told the nurse at Urgent Care that he wanted to punch her. I wanted to punch her too....she was so annoying. But, just 2 stitches later we were on our way home. Aiden is no worse for the wear and is quite proud of his battle wound. Stitches are just part of the territory when having boys. They are a right of passage in childhood. They are his first stitches and I'm assuming they won't be his last. My motto has become "Boys will be Boys."


This little boy (more about him later) has completely captured my heart. Have I mentioned that yet? I can't get over how cute he is....which is a good thing since he seems to be nocturnal. Sage hasn't engaged in too many shenanigans yet but I know his time is coming. I can't for the life of me seem to capture one of his big hippo smiles, or any smile for that matter, on camera. This video is mostly for the grandparents (it's kind of boring ) and only captures a small smile or two.

Untitled from Jenny on Vimeo.




Comments

Sally said…
I always get such joy from your blogs. Aiden looks like his stitches didn't slow him down much. I'm also glad that he went over the "candlestick". Sages smiles make us smile. He gets cuter and cuter. Thanks for making us a part of everyday life. You make me happy.
Love stories I hear about Aiden and his adventurous side. He is one smart cookie, that's for sure, and Sage is one stickin' cutie!
Caitlin said…
We have been working on thinking before acting for a couple years now. :) Ours are about 3.5 years apart and Ki did A LOT of tricks over Ella. She's a tough cookie and has survived just fine. He really does love her. I can totally relate to all the destruction. Ki is 5 and it's beginning to lessen around here, if that gives you any hope. Haha!

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Creek

 A new year, a new orchard. This year we tried out Apple Creek Orchard and it was a really pretty place. We picked apples, took a hay ride, and the boys had fun with the apple slinger. We were joined by Tom's parents and it feels so good to have them now living close by instead of far away. 

Almost to the finish line.

 It's hard to believe that Aiden turns 18 in one week and walks through graduation in just one month. After more than a decade of homeschooling, 2 years of PSEO, and no less than one million moments that I'll treasure forever, my oldest will be an adult and graduated. Great things are ahead for my boy!

Happy Birthday, Cade!

 My littlest is seven and it's hard  not to be sad. We couldn't be without him, and we're so glad he's ours.  At seven years old Cade loves to do what everyone else is doing. He will NOT play by himself, and maybe it's because he's used to having someone to entertain him all the time. He loves legos and soccer. He also loves to read. I am ALWAYS finding Cade trying to tackle reading a book he probably isn't quite ready for. Lately he's been trying to read The Hobbit. While he's able to read all the words, he just doesn't have the depth of understanding to read it independently quite yet. He LOVES Tom Sawyer so he was delighted to find an abridged version to read.  Cade makes up his own mind about things. He will NOT be bossed around. He holds his own, so I don't worry about his brothers pushing him over. Cade also won't be pushed over physically. He is one tough kid. If Cade is crying, I know he is actually hurt because he never cries ove...