Today has been a total wash. It's a day where I find it laughable that God thought I could (or rather He could through me ) raise two little boys. It's a day where it seems that even the power of God isn't big enough to tame these wild beasts that live in my house. Go ahead and laugh at my day....I know I'm not the only one with days that go something like this:
-Sage's middle name is "no nap." An overtired baby is always so. much. fun. Please sense my sarcasm.
-I took the boys to the post office today and Aiden took a tumble on the sidewalk. He got a scraped up knee. It might as well have been an all out life threatening battle wound the way he carried on. Since I'm an unprepared mother I did not have a band aide with me. No worries though because we were headed to Walmart anyway so I figured we could doctor him up as soon as we got there. Which I did (and came home with 3 boxes of band aides to add to our collection). On the way inside the store Aiden sat in the cart and howled, "I'm hurt so very bad! I'm not even rational!" Yeah, I got a lot of stares. I'm certain it was because people were impressed that my almost 4 year old can correctly use the word "rational" and not because they thought his behavior was obnoxious. The humor in this is that Aiden was right....he certainly was not rational.
-When we got home Aiden committed a pretty big infraction. To give the kid some privacy I won't go into details, but this certain infraction has been committed multiple times in the last week. At first Tom and I responded with patience and grace. Yesterday we drew the line and handed out a pretty big consequence thinking that would solve it. Not so. Today I let it go in the name of grace, but really I was just too tired and too lazy to impart a consequence that would ensue a big tantrum. I'm just hoping that grace conquers all.
-At bedtime Sage "no nap" turned into Sage "no bedtime." After trying for an hour and a half to get that kid down, I gave up and let him stay up for awhile. While I do not ever under any circumstances let my kids cry it out, I do not ever let them get up. Bedtime is strictly observed. Except for tonight. Oh-well. At this point does it really matter?
-The littlest is sleeping with a disposable diaper on because I realized that every single cloth diaper I own (which is a lot) is in the dirty diaper pail. Oops.
-I have not showered and am wearing just about the same thing as yesterday except for a clean shirt cause Sage spit up all over me.
-There are almost no groceries in the house because shopping with 2 children feels like shopping with an octopus.
-Now, at 9:59 PM all is quiet upstairs. If I went to bed before 11:30 PM I probably wouldn't be so tired. But, after the boys go to bed the house is so wonderfully quiet that I loose track of time as I soak in these few precious moments that I have to myself. And lately, just as I do fall into a peaceful sleep the baby wakes up to eat. No longer do I have a baby that sleeps 6 hours at a time. He's up every 3 hours again. I blame rolling over. He gets himself stuck in the corner of his bed and wakes himself up. The little stinker. And Aiden is usually (always) up at least once per night to get a drink of water or to ask me something important like, "What is Batman's middle name? or "Where does Spiderman live?" True story people!
All in a days work as a Mama, I suppose. I did threaten to sell both of them (even the cute baby) to the Gypsies today. But when Aiden looked up at me and said, "But Mama, I'll always be your baby, right?" I took it back. I suppose that even on a bad day they are both pretty cute. I might even keep them...maybe.
-Sage's middle name is "no nap." An overtired baby is always so. much. fun. Please sense my sarcasm.
-I took the boys to the post office today and Aiden took a tumble on the sidewalk. He got a scraped up knee. It might as well have been an all out life threatening battle wound the way he carried on. Since I'm an unprepared mother I did not have a band aide with me. No worries though because we were headed to Walmart anyway so I figured we could doctor him up as soon as we got there. Which I did (and came home with 3 boxes of band aides to add to our collection). On the way inside the store Aiden sat in the cart and howled, "I'm hurt so very bad! I'm not even rational!" Yeah, I got a lot of stares. I'm certain it was because people were impressed that my almost 4 year old can correctly use the word "rational" and not because they thought his behavior was obnoxious. The humor in this is that Aiden was right....he certainly was not rational.
-When we got home Aiden committed a pretty big infraction. To give the kid some privacy I won't go into details, but this certain infraction has been committed multiple times in the last week. At first Tom and I responded with patience and grace. Yesterday we drew the line and handed out a pretty big consequence thinking that would solve it. Not so. Today I let it go in the name of grace, but really I was just too tired and too lazy to impart a consequence that would ensue a big tantrum. I'm just hoping that grace conquers all.
-At bedtime Sage "no nap" turned into Sage "no bedtime." After trying for an hour and a half to get that kid down, I gave up and let him stay up for awhile. While I do not ever under any circumstances let my kids cry it out, I do not ever let them get up. Bedtime is strictly observed. Except for tonight. Oh-well. At this point does it really matter?
-The littlest is sleeping with a disposable diaper on because I realized that every single cloth diaper I own (which is a lot) is in the dirty diaper pail. Oops.
-I have not showered and am wearing just about the same thing as yesterday except for a clean shirt cause Sage spit up all over me.
-There are almost no groceries in the house because shopping with 2 children feels like shopping with an octopus.
-Now, at 9:59 PM all is quiet upstairs. If I went to bed before 11:30 PM I probably wouldn't be so tired. But, after the boys go to bed the house is so wonderfully quiet that I loose track of time as I soak in these few precious moments that I have to myself. And lately, just as I do fall into a peaceful sleep the baby wakes up to eat. No longer do I have a baby that sleeps 6 hours at a time. He's up every 3 hours again. I blame rolling over. He gets himself stuck in the corner of his bed and wakes himself up. The little stinker. And Aiden is usually (always) up at least once per night to get a drink of water or to ask me something important like, "What is Batman's middle name? or "Where does Spiderman live?" True story people!
All in a days work as a Mama, I suppose. I did threaten to sell both of them (even the cute baby) to the Gypsies today. But when Aiden looked up at me and said, "But Mama, I'll always be your baby, right?" I took it back. I suppose that even on a bad day they are both pretty cute. I might even keep them...maybe.
Comments