Aiden has this new pretend game that he plays and frequently I hear him say, "Hey Mama! I need to work on my Set-up." And at this point I try to say something positive like, "Oh yay!" instead of cringing because to me "The Set-up" should be called "The Mess-up" and it goes something like this: Every pillow and every blanket from the main floor gets dragged to the couch along with as many of Aiden's "friends" (read: stuffed animals) as he can carry in about 5 trips from upstairs. Then we both sit on the couch and listen for Monsters and Wild Things and the like. Sometimes the Monsters eat our food. Sometimes they hide in the garage. Sometimes we spy them through binoculars. I think the Wild Things are nice but I, myself, have never met them. I was informed that the floor is a sea of hot lava and if you want to get down you have to walk on the Spider Webs that Aiden shoots out above the lava to make a path. So imaginative and so fun. Sage seems to think the game is quite silly but he's a good sport about it and I think he just likes being cozy on the couch and hanging out with us all.
I'm pretty sure the game originated because Aiden got cold....which he would NEVER admit. He is going through a Spiderman obsession phase. Ew. I don't know where he heard about Spidey because I have never encouraged it. But, seeing as I want him identifying with good, strong characters and because Tom assures me that Spidey is a good guy loved by even big boys, I haven't outlawed it. I bought him a ratty pair of Spidey jammies at a consignment store because I'm not in love with the weird little man that spins webs so I didn't feel like buying new ones. Aiden insists on wearing them or the Spiderman swim suit 24/7....even though the shorts weather we were teased with weeks ago has disappeared. If Aiden hides out in his "Set-up" he gets to snuggle under the blankets and play all while never admitting that he might be a bit chilly and needs to put on warmer clothes. Such a cute, albeit silly, boy I have.
I think my favorite part of this Mama role is the spontaneous outpouring of love that sometimes I'm lucky enough to get. This little bit I captured on camera.
Speaking of love, Aiden and I play a game at bedtime called "I love you as much." It's a spin-off from the book I Love You to the Moon and Back. Anyway, the other night Aiden said, "Mama! Tell me another I Love you as Much..." So I said, "I love you as fast as a bunny can hop." Aiden got a very disgusted look on his face and said, "Mama! Bunnies do NOT hop that fast. I don't feel very special at all!" :) I laughed out loud. I couldn't help it. I guess bunnies hopping fast does not measure up to "I love you as tall as a big, Big, BIG Volcano erupting!" which is what Aiden told me. I guess I'll have to up my ante.
And this little boy is proud to say he's big enough for the Excersaucer. It can't be true. It just can't. Time is going too fast. Slow down, my little boys. Soon you won't be little anymore.
Cute view of baby feet. He can even touch the bottom on his tippy toes (on the shortest setting...let's not get carried away!).
Sometimes I get that hippo smile that I love so much!
Comments
I think it's super sweet that you guys play "Love You This Much".
Lastly, the smiling one of Sage brought a big smile to me, he does have a Kuphal hippo smile too :)