Skip to main content

Success!

I pack Tom's lunch everyday which is a trial in and of itself because he is picky.  If that wasn't enough, I also have to pack a couple breakfast items.  Tom doesn't eat breakfast, but at 10 AM he is starving.  Thankfully, he likes yogurt.  But I need to pack something substantial with nutrients that isn't loaded with sugar.  Enter the Larabar.  These bars are essentially made from nuts and dates.  They are packed with nutrition. The dates (which are the basic base of the bars) are sweet AND healthy.  A date contains only 23 calories and are loaded with carbs.  They have NO cholesterol, are high in fiber and contain nutrients like Maganese, Copper, Iron, Zinc, Phosphorous, Potassium, Magnesium and Calcium (32 mg per serving!!!).  They contain vitamins such at A1, B1, B2, B3, B5, C.  There are also over 20 different amino acids which our bodies need. What more could you ask for? Larabars come in a variety of flavors.  I've been buying a few to see which ones Tom liked.  The Banana bread was a no-go...even I didn't like it.  I didn't hear any complaints from the Blueberry Muffin Bar or the Cashew Cookie.  Word on the street is that chocolate ones are super yummy.  Larabars are loaded with nutrition, but the price tag is kinda loaded too. At $1.70/each a weekly supply of Larabars can get a little pricey...especially when more than one person is eating them.  So...enter homemade Larabars. A special thank you to Tom's cousin for inspiration.  And, once I did a little poking around on food blogs I quickly found that homemade Larabars are what's trending in the food world (can you believe I used the word "trending?").  Anyway....for my first go 'round I made chocolate ones.  You can't go wrong with chocolate.  I think they are mighty good. My camera is out of battery so I have no pictures of the process.  You can probably imagine what the ingredients looked like in my blender anyway.  If you must have pictures, go here.  This recipe belongs to Tom's cousin, Nicole, who is an expert on all things healthy and homemade.

Larabars
1 Cup Almonds (I think the nut you use can be your choice)
1 1/2 cups Fresh Dates (the only place I found these was Trader Joes)
4 TBSP cocoa powder (I'll let you in on a secret....I didn't have 4 TBSP of cocoa powder left so I substituted in Trader Joe's Sipping Chocolate.  That secret ingredient probably added a bit more sweetness.)
A little vanilla
A little sea salt

Blend in blender.  Spread in pan. Cut. Store in little bags in fridge so you can grab and go.

Be creative.  The flavor possibilities are endless.

Comments

Yummy! I'll have to try these sometime soon. I recently made a brownie batter dip that had dates as the base ingredient.

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Creek

 A new year, a new orchard. This year we tried out Apple Creek Orchard and it was a really pretty place. We picked apples, took a hay ride, and the boys had fun with the apple slinger. We were joined by Tom's parents and it feels so good to have them now living close by instead of far away. 

Almost to the finish line.

 It's hard to believe that Aiden turns 18 in one week and walks through graduation in just one month. After more than a decade of homeschooling, 2 years of PSEO, and no less than one million moments that I'll treasure forever, my oldest will be an adult and graduated. Great things are ahead for my boy!

Happy Birthday, Cade!

 My littlest is seven and it's hard  not to be sad. We couldn't be without him, and we're so glad he's ours.  At seven years old Cade loves to do what everyone else is doing. He will NOT play by himself, and maybe it's because he's used to having someone to entertain him all the time. He loves legos and soccer. He also loves to read. I am ALWAYS finding Cade trying to tackle reading a book he probably isn't quite ready for. Lately he's been trying to read The Hobbit. While he's able to read all the words, he just doesn't have the depth of understanding to read it independently quite yet. He LOVES Tom Sawyer so he was delighted to find an abridged version to read.  Cade makes up his own mind about things. He will NOT be bossed around. He holds his own, so I don't worry about his brothers pushing him over. Cade also won't be pushed over physically. He is one tough kid. If Cade is crying, I know he is actually hurt because he never cries ove...