Skip to main content

Down on the Farm

Today felt like a field trip of sorts.  We met up with some of Aiden and my friends at Oliver H. Kelly Farm in Elk River.  This historic little farm has been preserved and runs everyday like the farm in was in the 1800's.  If life was "survival of the fittest" in the 1800's I would not have made the cut, for sure.  The people who work on this farm, like our friend Jill the Gardner, work really, really hard.  I was impressed by the  massive garden (maybe an acre), the wash that was being done by hand and the cornbread that was being made in an old cookstove all while wearing traditional 1800's clothing even in the oppressive heat that was today. Aiden doesn't understand time yet so I think all my explaining that this was how life was like before cars, before electricity, before toys, computers, and modern conveniences probably didn't sink in.  What did sink in was the big horned cow (the highlight of Aiden's trip) and the water pump.  Aiden pumped many a bucket of water today.  So many in fact that I think other kids might not have gotten a turn.  The kids also got to pick rhubarb in the garden so the cook could make rhubarb butter, weed the garden and feed the chickens.  Such a lot of work for a 4 year old (and a Mama!).  I think we'll all sleep well tonight and not take the AC for granted.






Comments

Had a blast going with you today. I too do not take air for granted anymore, especially while sleeping tonight!

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Creek

 A new year, a new orchard. This year we tried out Apple Creek Orchard and it was a really pretty place. We picked apples, took a hay ride, and the boys had fun with the apple slinger. We were joined by Tom's parents and it feels so good to have them now living close by instead of far away. 

Almost to the finish line.

 It's hard to believe that Aiden turns 18 in one week and walks through graduation in just one month. After more than a decade of homeschooling, 2 years of PSEO, and no less than one million moments that I'll treasure forever, my oldest will be an adult and graduated. Great things are ahead for my boy!

Happy Birthday, Cade!

 My littlest is seven and it's hard  not to be sad. We couldn't be without him, and we're so glad he's ours.  At seven years old Cade loves to do what everyone else is doing. He will NOT play by himself, and maybe it's because he's used to having someone to entertain him all the time. He loves legos and soccer. He also loves to read. I am ALWAYS finding Cade trying to tackle reading a book he probably isn't quite ready for. Lately he's been trying to read The Hobbit. While he's able to read all the words, he just doesn't have the depth of understanding to read it independently quite yet. He LOVES Tom Sawyer so he was delighted to find an abridged version to read.  Cade makes up his own mind about things. He will NOT be bossed around. He holds his own, so I don't worry about his brothers pushing him over. Cade also won't be pushed over physically. He is one tough kid. If Cade is crying, I know he is actually hurt because he never cries ove...