Skip to main content

What's For Dinner Tonight

At night when I'm rocking Sage to sleep, if I'm not in the middle of some cheesy drama series or documentary on Netflix, I surf from blog to blog on my ipod looking for recipes or interesting articles to keep me entertained. If I find a recipe I copy it and send in to my email for future use.  I do have a pintrest account but have never used it because a) I don't have the time and b) I can't figure it out. So this little method is my old fashioned and unsophisticated way of "pinning." Anyway, somewhere I found tonight's dinner: Stuffed French Loaf.  I got the go ahead to make it again sometime so I'll share the recipe.  Mom and Ashley, I think even Dad (a food simpleton) and Will (a meat lover) would like this.

Stuffed French Bread

 
-1 loaf French Bread (Buy something kind of big...not the demi size.  I bought a traditional soft loaf but next time I'm going to try something more Tuscan)
-1 onion chopped
-1 pkg Lipton onion soup mix (Please don't use this. It's full of yucky stuff.  I just used minced onion, garlic, McCormick's Steak Seasoning and salt and pepper)
-2 c shredded cheddar cheese
-1 lb ground beef or turkey 
-1 package fresh mushrooms
-2 cups cole slaw mix or shredded cabbage

-Cut loaf horizontally in 1/2 and hollow out (we saved the bread we pulled out to feed the ducks at the pond later this week).  :)
-Brown meat and onion. Drain grease. 
-Add soup mix and mushrooms- cook for 5 mins.
-Add cole slaw and simmer until tender.
-Put 1/2 of cheese in the bottom of the loaf. Add beef mix to fill the bread. Add remaining cheese on top. 
-Put on bread top and wrap with foil.
-Bake on a cookie sheet at 350 for 25 minutes. Let cool 10-15 minutes before slicing. 
 
Later this week I'm trying a Cheese Tortellini with Spinach Salad and Kabobs with Sweet Potato Fries.  If these go well I'll share those too.  I found a Chicken Gyro recipe tonight that looks delish so my next week meal plan is already in the making. 
 

Comments

Thank you for the onion soup mix alternative! I've been wondering what to use instead of it in some of my recipes.
May have to try that one. Ironically we were just talking about the dreaded question today, "What's for dinner?" Glad to see your dinner was a success. Good luck with the rest of the week.

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Creek

 A new year, a new orchard. This year we tried out Apple Creek Orchard and it was a really pretty place. We picked apples, took a hay ride, and the boys had fun with the apple slinger. We were joined by Tom's parents and it feels so good to have them now living close by instead of far away. 

Almost to the finish line.

 It's hard to believe that Aiden turns 18 in one week and walks through graduation in just one month. After more than a decade of homeschooling, 2 years of PSEO, and no less than one million moments that I'll treasure forever, my oldest will be an adult and graduated. Great things are ahead for my boy!

Happy Birthday, Cade!

 My littlest is seven and it's hard  not to be sad. We couldn't be without him, and we're so glad he's ours.  At seven years old Cade loves to do what everyone else is doing. He will NOT play by himself, and maybe it's because he's used to having someone to entertain him all the time. He loves legos and soccer. He also loves to read. I am ALWAYS finding Cade trying to tackle reading a book he probably isn't quite ready for. Lately he's been trying to read The Hobbit. While he's able to read all the words, he just doesn't have the depth of understanding to read it independently quite yet. He LOVES Tom Sawyer so he was delighted to find an abridged version to read.  Cade makes up his own mind about things. He will NOT be bossed around. He holds his own, so I don't worry about his brothers pushing him over. Cade also won't be pushed over physically. He is one tough kid. If Cade is crying, I know he is actually hurt because he never cries ove...