Skip to main content

A whole new world

A whole new world is opening up for Aiden! Tom has been reading him chapter books and Aiden is soaking it all in!  We still read tons of picture books and we will continue reading picture books until Aiden moves out or refuses (whichever comes first).  But Tom and Aiden have been traveling through chapter books at bedtime for a few months now and I just love it.  I've read that the number one predictor of academic success is reading aloud to children. Thankfully, I have a little boy who loves to read.  We started with the A. A. Milne Winnie The Pooh series.  I would recommend using these books as a gateway to chapter books.  This series still has some pictures and each chapter is a different story.  Your young child doesn't have to track all the way through the book following just one story, but can learn to absorb the story and all it's details in shorter form.  Just last week Tom and Aiden finished the book Peter Pan.  Aiden adores Peter Pan and it was fun for them to compare and contrast the book with the movie.  The book is more detailed and even I learned some new parts to Peter Pan's story.  So, read the day away with your children, dear friends.  It's so good for you both. (And it's definitely harder to do with a baby in the house but we're tryin').
 Sage. What can I say about Sage? He has gone from a mellow little baby that likes to be held to a little baby boy that can't stop moving.  He is crawling. And he can almost escape from his bed into our bed so his days in his co-sleeper are numbered (sad!).  He has been loving Daddy's guitar and is still really, really happy. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Creek

 A new year, a new orchard. This year we tried out Apple Creek Orchard and it was a really pretty place. We picked apples, took a hay ride, and the boys had fun with the apple slinger. We were joined by Tom's parents and it feels so good to have them now living close by instead of far away. 

Almost to the finish line.

 It's hard to believe that Aiden turns 18 in one week and walks through graduation in just one month. After more than a decade of homeschooling, 2 years of PSEO, and no less than one million moments that I'll treasure forever, my oldest will be an adult and graduated. Great things are ahead for my boy!

Happy Birthday, Cade!

 My littlest is seven and it's hard  not to be sad. We couldn't be without him, and we're so glad he's ours.  At seven years old Cade loves to do what everyone else is doing. He will NOT play by himself, and maybe it's because he's used to having someone to entertain him all the time. He loves legos and soccer. He also loves to read. I am ALWAYS finding Cade trying to tackle reading a book he probably isn't quite ready for. Lately he's been trying to read The Hobbit. While he's able to read all the words, he just doesn't have the depth of understanding to read it independently quite yet. He LOVES Tom Sawyer so he was delighted to find an abridged version to read.  Cade makes up his own mind about things. He will NOT be bossed around. He holds his own, so I don't worry about his brothers pushing him over. Cade also won't be pushed over physically. He is one tough kid. If Cade is crying, I know he is actually hurt because he never cries ove...