There is a certain comfort found in things you can count on and I think traditions are good for the soul. We have some long running traditions, I'm talking traditions spanning generations, at the cabin and, although simple, these traditions make me feel at home. They make me feel good because I know they are coming, they bring fond memories, they bring us together as a family, they make me feel happy. My family are cabin newbies, but Tom's family has been coming to the cabin since Tom's Dad was a boy. So, I've claimed their traditions as my own and they've been nice enough to share, spreading the Cabin Magic as far as it will stretch.
The LollyPop Tree
My personal favorite. So full of magic and promise. Anticipation and hope. I love that my sweet boys get to be a part of it and even when we plant it on the last night at the cabin when I'm dog tired and ready to go home, I'd move mountains to make sure my boys don't miss out on the Lollypop tree. Come rain or shine, feast, famine or ridiculously late bedtimes, the Lollypop tree WILL go on. :)
Cabin Magic Stories
Maybe this tradition ties for my favorite with the Lollypop Tree. These stories make up the wonderment and magicalness of the cabin. Full of sweetness, innocence, heroism, and imagination, my mother-in-law knits together these fabulous tales and tells them with the Magic Lantern Burning while the children gobble up Oven S'mores. The fun part is these stories are not for adults. All of the adults are banished from the cabin during this special time. I'll let you in on a secret....before Tom and I were married I got to stay and listen to one. And even I, at the old age of 21, hung on every word. I think there is a common theme in all of these stories but I can't give away any secrets.
This year Grandmommy planned on just doing a Cabin Magic Story with the three little ones thinking maybe the older kids were ready to outgrow the stories. But even though Grandmommy started out with what looks like a small crowd, one by one the rest of the kids trickled in and found their spot around the Lantern. I wish I could tell the kids to embrace the ages they are...to hold on tightly to their childhood....to squeeze every last minute out of every last story and soak up the moments of these carefree and magical days. Childhood is fleeting and they'll be wishing it back once they realize it's gone.
The exciting part is that my kids are young. :) I get to live this magic through them for many a year to come and look forward to continuing traditions and starting new ones. We have a cumulative of something like 300 feet of lake shore to fill with traditions and my guess is that Cabin Magic can grow exponentially.
More memories to come....I've sorted enough pictures for one night. :)
The LollyPop Tree
My personal favorite. So full of magic and promise. Anticipation and hope. I love that my sweet boys get to be a part of it and even when we plant it on the last night at the cabin when I'm dog tired and ready to go home, I'd move mountains to make sure my boys don't miss out on the Lollypop tree. Come rain or shine, feast, famine or ridiculously late bedtimes, the Lollypop tree WILL go on. :)
Cabin Magic Stories
Maybe this tradition ties for my favorite with the Lollypop Tree. These stories make up the wonderment and magicalness of the cabin. Full of sweetness, innocence, heroism, and imagination, my mother-in-law knits together these fabulous tales and tells them with the Magic Lantern Burning while the children gobble up Oven S'mores. The fun part is these stories are not for adults. All of the adults are banished from the cabin during this special time. I'll let you in on a secret....before Tom and I were married I got to stay and listen to one. And even I, at the old age of 21, hung on every word. I think there is a common theme in all of these stories but I can't give away any secrets.
![]() |
| The Magic Story Lantern |
![]() |
| Making oven s'mores |
![]() |
| Story Time |
More memories to come....I've sorted enough pictures for one night. :)






Comments