Skip to main content

Aiden Speak

Sometimes I just feel stuck in the Land of Little Kids.  I feel like I'm just swimming around in deep waters full of diapers, naps, baby food, discipline, crankiness, toys, messes, bed times, schedules, crackers, car seats and more discipline. It feels like I'm never going to get out.  I can get so overcome with the mundane and hard work of it all that I forget to love the little (or not so little) things.  I forget that this time is magical and carefree and supposedly fun.  It often takes someone or something to snap me out of my fog or rescue me from drowning in the aforementioned list.

The one thing that has never been "little kid" around here is Aiden's language development.  It's been quite amazing to say the least.  I told Tom I should have done a YouTube series on Aiden's Word of the Day.  He is pretty good at hearing words and then figuring out how to use them.  Last week's new words were: cross (as in angry), ill, accurate, and fabulous.  Love it!  Anyway, there are a few words Aiden is confused on and I think it's really cute so Tom and I haven't corrected him.  We get secret little heart smiles whenever we hear them.  I want to remember these little kid mistakes because it's these kind of things that take the weariness and drudgery out of the everyday.

Aiden Speak                       Decoded
Murphy                              Smoothie
Eyesight                             Website
Candy Child                       Lucky Charms
Steve                                   Steep (as in this hill is really steve)
Help Control                       Self Control
Heart Beep                          Heart Beat
Teasure Mape                     Tape Measure

I know there are more but of course they have escaped my memory as I sit here.  That kid is pretty funny.  Tom and Aiden camped out in a tent at the cabin last weekend and as I was explaining to Tom all the reasons why tent sleeping might not be a good idea Aiden looked at me and said, "Mama, just calm yourself.  Sit and enjoy the fire.  Have some peace for yourself and eat a marshmallow."  I laughed about that for a long time.  Such wise words from my sweet boy.  That is just what I needed to do. I'm going to do my best to keep adding to this sweet little list so that I can read it when the going gets tough around here...which seems to be everyday right about now.  I suppose I should add that Tom and Aiden lasted in the tent until about 6 AM even though it got kind of chilly.  Tom said he and Aiden had a really fun time and Tom heard owls calling back and forth to each other in the night and he now wishes he would have woken Aiden up to hear them.  So, I think there will definitely be more camp outs in the future.



Comments

I too have heard Aiden say some things that I can't help but laugh inside. He is such a creative and smart little cookie. "Candy Child" for Lucky Charms is by far my favorite.

Also, that is a GREAT picture of you and your boys!!!
Sally said…
I loved hearing about the camp out and that the owls continue to live at the lake. What a wonderful list of things of words that cause "heart smiles". Love you.

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Creek

 A new year, a new orchard. This year we tried out Apple Creek Orchard and it was a really pretty place. We picked apples, took a hay ride, and the boys had fun with the apple slinger. We were joined by Tom's parents and it feels so good to have them now living close by instead of far away. 

Almost to the finish line.

 It's hard to believe that Aiden turns 18 in one week and walks through graduation in just one month. After more than a decade of homeschooling, 2 years of PSEO, and no less than one million moments that I'll treasure forever, my oldest will be an adult and graduated. Great things are ahead for my boy!

Happy Birthday, Cade!

 My littlest is seven and it's hard  not to be sad. We couldn't be without him, and we're so glad he's ours.  At seven years old Cade loves to do what everyone else is doing. He will NOT play by himself, and maybe it's because he's used to having someone to entertain him all the time. He loves legos and soccer. He also loves to read. I am ALWAYS finding Cade trying to tackle reading a book he probably isn't quite ready for. Lately he's been trying to read The Hobbit. While he's able to read all the words, he just doesn't have the depth of understanding to read it independently quite yet. He LOVES Tom Sawyer so he was delighted to find an abridged version to read.  Cade makes up his own mind about things. He will NOT be bossed around. He holds his own, so I don't worry about his brothers pushing him over. Cade also won't be pushed over physically. He is one tough kid. If Cade is crying, I know he is actually hurt because he never cries ove...