The week I decided to drastically cut our sugar intake and quit using the microwave has also been the week that Sage announced he no longer wants a steady diet of mush. Bummer. I don't love the baby food stage and I dislike the microscopic finger food stage even more. I refuse to let my kid live on cheese, bananas and Puffs, so I had to figure something out. Sometimes he can eat what we have for dinner, but sometimes not. There are still lots of foods I haven't given him and let's not forget the ongoing dilemma of what's for lunch. So, tonight I experimented. I figured if I could freeze baby food in ice cube trays then maybe I could freeze finger food in trays too.
First I chopped a bunch of veggies and steamed them in a pot. Then I chopped them into small pieces...and chopped some more. Next, I filled the trays with food and then put them in the freezer. The left overs I made into a batch of baby food. Sage won't be quitting cold turkey.
I froze broccoli, red pepper, carrots, and sweet potatoes. In half of them I put Quinoa in the bottom. I added cinnamon to the sweet potatoes and I put about a tablespoon of Chicken broth in each one to help them stay frozen together when I take them out of the tray to store in containers in the freezer. For the baby food I made a batch of spinach with pear and sweet potatoes with pumpkin, applesauce, and cinnamon (and maybe a random broccoli piece that was left over). I also froze a batch of Quinoa to fill in with here and there. Hopefully this, along with still nursing, works out and fills up the little sprouts tummy. Cross my fingers....so far he's embraced food really well. I just gave him puffs for the first time a couple weeks ago and he's already attacking my plate of spaghetti. This is very unlike his brother who was very, very picky for a very, very long time.
I have a freezer full of finger food, meals planned for the week, Aiden's school planned through Friday, my bible study half way done and more than a week's worth of ironed work clothes for Tom in the closet. Seriously, this NEVER happens. I really mean NEVER. Who am I? Oh that's right....Tom has literally been at work since Friday and we cancelled Netflix so I've had lots of spare time on my hands. :) Here's to an organized week (without a microwave or cookies...boo!).
First I chopped a bunch of veggies and steamed them in a pot. Then I chopped them into small pieces...and chopped some more. Next, I filled the trays with food and then put them in the freezer. The left overs I made into a batch of baby food. Sage won't be quitting cold turkey.
I froze broccoli, red pepper, carrots, and sweet potatoes. In half of them I put Quinoa in the bottom. I added cinnamon to the sweet potatoes and I put about a tablespoon of Chicken broth in each one to help them stay frozen together when I take them out of the tray to store in containers in the freezer. For the baby food I made a batch of spinach with pear and sweet potatoes with pumpkin, applesauce, and cinnamon (and maybe a random broccoli piece that was left over). I also froze a batch of Quinoa to fill in with here and there. Hopefully this, along with still nursing, works out and fills up the little sprouts tummy. Cross my fingers....so far he's embraced food really well. I just gave him puffs for the first time a couple weeks ago and he's already attacking my plate of spaghetti. This is very unlike his brother who was very, very picky for a very, very long time.
I have a freezer full of finger food, meals planned for the week, Aiden's school planned through Friday, my bible study half way done and more than a week's worth of ironed work clothes for Tom in the closet. Seriously, this NEVER happens. I really mean NEVER. Who am I? Oh that's right....Tom has literally been at work since Friday and we cancelled Netflix so I've had lots of spare time on my hands. :) Here's to an organized week (without a microwave or cookies...boo!).
Comments