Skip to main content

Dear Aiden's Teacher,

I think there are a few things you need to understand...a few things you really should take to heart. Understanding these couple things will make our experience working together much more pleasant.

I'm assuming you don't have kids yet, so this point is something you can't fully grasp but need to know.  My child is my treasure.  He is God's most brilliant creation.  He means more to me than millions of trillions of dollars.  Please keep this in mind when I hand him over to you.  Whether it's just for an hour or for all day, you are holding my world.  So, I would really appreciate it if you would smile at my child.  Be excited to see him.  Take him by the hand and treat him like he's made of pure gold.  Also, please value my child as a person...as his own separate being.  Don't treat him like someday he'll be somebody.  Treat him like the somebody he already is.  He is intelligent and he has his own ideas.  He knows when you don't take the time to explain things to him.  He wants to understand everything you do, and as his teacher this is your job.

At the risk of sounding arrogant I need to say that since my child is just four there is no skill that I can't teach him myself.  However, I'm paying you so my child can have an experience.  Please make it a good one for him.  Bring energy to the class.  Facilitate a classroom environment that is warm and takes each person seriously.  Encourage friendships.  Demonstrate respect.  My child KNOWS when you are being lazy, so don't be.  My sweet little boy is in your class so you can present him with age appropriate challenges and I expect a planned skill progression.  All these things will not only develop a skill set in my boy, but they will build confidence amid other things.  Interacting with others in your class teaches Aiden the balance between being a leader and not a follower while understanding how to join in and do what others are doing.  It helps him learn how to follow instructions in a group setting while also working independently.  As he problem solves and thinks critically he will be practicing social skills and should be reinforced when he shines. Each time he leaves your class he is a little bit farther down the road to reaching his fullest potential. Just take a minute to think about that. Also keep in mind that his interactions with you in your class are contributing to his worldview.  Let's work together to shape his worldview into something accurate and positive.

I'm not sure you thought about these things when you signed up to teach a few one hour classes to four year olds each week, so I felt it essential I bring these points to your attention. I trust you understand your high position a little better and will take your job as seriously as I do.  Teachers have the most important profession and should be held in the highest esteem.  My little boy looks up to you and I trust you are going to be a person worthy of his admiration. He wants to love your class (as do I) so please don't disappoint.  I promise the reward of seeing kids learn, grow, achieve and look up at you with shinning eyes will be a sweet reward.

Thank you for being a teacher.

Sincerely,
Aiden's mom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Creek

 A new year, a new orchard. This year we tried out Apple Creek Orchard and it was a really pretty place. We picked apples, took a hay ride, and the boys had fun with the apple slinger. We were joined by Tom's parents and it feels so good to have them now living close by instead of far away. 

Almost to the finish line.

 It's hard to believe that Aiden turns 18 in one week and walks through graduation in just one month. After more than a decade of homeschooling, 2 years of PSEO, and no less than one million moments that I'll treasure forever, my oldest will be an adult and graduated. Great things are ahead for my boy!

Happy Birthday, Cade!

 My littlest is seven and it's hard  not to be sad. We couldn't be without him, and we're so glad he's ours.  At seven years old Cade loves to do what everyone else is doing. He will NOT play by himself, and maybe it's because he's used to having someone to entertain him all the time. He loves legos and soccer. He also loves to read. I am ALWAYS finding Cade trying to tackle reading a book he probably isn't quite ready for. Lately he's been trying to read The Hobbit. While he's able to read all the words, he just doesn't have the depth of understanding to read it independently quite yet. He LOVES Tom Sawyer so he was delighted to find an abridged version to read.  Cade makes up his own mind about things. He will NOT be bossed around. He holds his own, so I don't worry about his brothers pushing him over. Cade also won't be pushed over physically. He is one tough kid. If Cade is crying, I know he is actually hurt because he never cries ove...