Trying to come up with "kid free" posts is difficult since I spend everyday all day with the littles. But, a couple months ago I realized that if I was going to spend all day everyday with the littles then I needed to figure out some way rejuvenate myself. Thus, I picked up a book. It's been so long since I've really read anything and it feels good to be back in the saddle. I don't usually like to read more than one book at a time, but I'm in the middle of three right now and enjoying all of them, so I thought I'd do a bit of a book review.
Tramp For the Lord by Corrie Ten Boom
This book really doesn't need me to say anything about it. The name of the author says it all. Thank goodness God doesn't compare because my faith wouldn't even be a small spark of light held next to Corrie's faith that shone brightly all over the world. Read it.
Desperate: Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe by Sally Clarkson and Sarah Mae
I kind of think this title says it all. It grabbed me because it was me. I love this book. It has brought me to tears several times. It is not convicting nor does it make you feel guilty. The authors meet you where you are because they have been there. This book is written with such a warm tone that when I read it I want nothing more than to curl up in the author's living room and just let her speak her wisdom into my soul. I will be reading it several times, that is for sure. I could open to any page and quote any paragraph and it would be good. I'll just leave you with a little of what I read today:
"Our shoulders often falter under a constant weight of performance and duty. We get caught up in the hectic cycle of endless tasks and often end up finding our lives to be a barren wasteland of burdens. We ask half-heartedly for a sip of His grace, never fully expecting Him to listen and answer. Yet Jesus wants us to come for a bottomless lake of His mercy, joy, fun, love, forgiveness, power, beauty, adventure, and freedom. He desires to give us eyes to see every moment from His perspective, looking out with a view over all of eternity-and seeing the stark difference between what really matters and what will soon pass."
Twelve Ordinary Men by John MacArthur
Tom and I are reading this book together. I think it's going to take awhile to finish this one. The print is small and it's dense with information, but chapter 1 has me drawn in. It is rich in facts and sound theology and I've already read things that have given me much to ponder. I guess I'll have to write more about this one when we've finished. Stay tuned.
So...what are you reading?
Tramp For the Lord by Corrie Ten Boom
This book really doesn't need me to say anything about it. The name of the author says it all. Thank goodness God doesn't compare because my faith wouldn't even be a small spark of light held next to Corrie's faith that shone brightly all over the world. Read it.
Desperate: Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe by Sally Clarkson and Sarah Mae
I kind of think this title says it all. It grabbed me because it was me. I love this book. It has brought me to tears several times. It is not convicting nor does it make you feel guilty. The authors meet you where you are because they have been there. This book is written with such a warm tone that when I read it I want nothing more than to curl up in the author's living room and just let her speak her wisdom into my soul. I will be reading it several times, that is for sure. I could open to any page and quote any paragraph and it would be good. I'll just leave you with a little of what I read today:
"Our shoulders often falter under a constant weight of performance and duty. We get caught up in the hectic cycle of endless tasks and often end up finding our lives to be a barren wasteland of burdens. We ask half-heartedly for a sip of His grace, never fully expecting Him to listen and answer. Yet Jesus wants us to come for a bottomless lake of His mercy, joy, fun, love, forgiveness, power, beauty, adventure, and freedom. He desires to give us eyes to see every moment from His perspective, looking out with a view over all of eternity-and seeing the stark difference between what really matters and what will soon pass."
Twelve Ordinary Men by John MacArthur
Tom and I are reading this book together. I think it's going to take awhile to finish this one. The print is small and it's dense with information, but chapter 1 has me drawn in. It is rich in facts and sound theology and I've already read things that have given me much to ponder. I guess I'll have to write more about this one when we've finished. Stay tuned.
So...what are you reading?
Comments