It seems as if I'm always seeing developmental milestones around here, and I always mean to write them down, yet I seldom do because keeping up with my two boys feels like I'm trying to keep up in boot camp. :) My sweet baby Sage is growing up much too quickly and before I forget all of these small, yet important details, I wanted to preserve them for the day when I need a reminder of the baby days of my precious littles.
Sage's development has exploded recently and I'm amazed! He has really and truly fallen in love with books. While he's always liked to be read to, he's always had his limit when it came to reading. But just in these past two weeks he has begun to drink in books. He asks to be read to all the time and has so many ideas about what he sees in pictures. He has also developed lots of ideas when it comes to pretend play. He has begun to have conversations between the the toys he's playing with whether it be guys or cars or boats. And he has recently begun asking me to play WITH him. He directs the play but is very cognizant of including me in his play. It's so fun to watch him desire more interaction in his play. He has left behind the stage of side by side play and has entered into a world of enjoying playing WITH people. He crossed over this milestone almost right before my eyes and it was so, SO fun to watch.
Make no mistake, Sage can't wait to be older. We went out for dinner last weekend at a restaurant that had a mechanical bull (classy, right??). Sage was enthralled! He wanted to know how fast it went, how slow it went, where the button was to turn it on, and of course he wanted to ride it. He has talked non stop of being old enough to ride that bull. It's like it's on his bucket list or something. I shouldn't be surprised since Sage LOVES anything with a motor. He's fascinated by motors and how things work and how things turn on. When I play cars with him he always tells me where the on and off buttons are. Sage has this thirst to know how things work. I'm guessing engineering might be in his future. I was hoping to send the boys just down the street to the U of M someday but maybe Sage will make his way to our alma mater and we'll be paying tuition to ISU's College of Engineering.
The most bittersweet part, and the part that prompted me to actually sit down and write this post, is that tonight Sage went to sleep all by himself without me laying with him. I have been laying in bed with one kid or another for 6 1/2 years and in the last couple weeks it's been clear that I need to be spending time elsewhere from 7-8:30 P.M. So, I stocked up on toys at Toys R Us, gave Sage a sticker chart and a pep talk, and prayed. I'm not going to lie, it was pretty sad. Sage went to bed crying and begging me to "protect him." I almost broke down. But my little babies have had more night time snuggles than most kids, I've gave them my best, and now I'm done. I thought tonight would be a nightmare. In the first 15 minutes of putting Sage to bed his was up to go potty, then up again to go poop. He was up again playing toys in his room, then he was up again because he wanted covered with a different blanket, and then he was up again to tell me a joke about jet ski's. Seriously. After we took care of all that he miraculously settled in and fell asleep while talking to Winnie the Pooh and Penny. He's sleeping now with his arm around Pooh and I'm kinda sad cause he used to fall asleep with his arm around me. But, this is a step in the right direction even though it means my baby is growing up. I'll just have to snuggle him all the more during the day to make sure we both get in our much needed snuggle time.
That's just a small glimpse of my little Sagey and all the wheels that are turning in his head right now. Even Aiden has noticed how Sage has changed lately but Aiden and I still look at each other and smile during the day about Sage's cute antics. Although, sometimes Aiden is completely put out by his little brother too, but mostly they love each other most of the time. I just sometimes wish I could freeze these moments. I guess that's kind of what I'm trusting this blog to do....to hold onto these memories so I can relive them someday.
Sage's development has exploded recently and I'm amazed! He has really and truly fallen in love with books. While he's always liked to be read to, he's always had his limit when it came to reading. But just in these past two weeks he has begun to drink in books. He asks to be read to all the time and has so many ideas about what he sees in pictures. He has also developed lots of ideas when it comes to pretend play. He has begun to have conversations between the the toys he's playing with whether it be guys or cars or boats. And he has recently begun asking me to play WITH him. He directs the play but is very cognizant of including me in his play. It's so fun to watch him desire more interaction in his play. He has left behind the stage of side by side play and has entered into a world of enjoying playing WITH people. He crossed over this milestone almost right before my eyes and it was so, SO fun to watch.
Make no mistake, Sage can't wait to be older. We went out for dinner last weekend at a restaurant that had a mechanical bull (classy, right??). Sage was enthralled! He wanted to know how fast it went, how slow it went, where the button was to turn it on, and of course he wanted to ride it. He has talked non stop of being old enough to ride that bull. It's like it's on his bucket list or something. I shouldn't be surprised since Sage LOVES anything with a motor. He's fascinated by motors and how things work and how things turn on. When I play cars with him he always tells me where the on and off buttons are. Sage has this thirst to know how things work. I'm guessing engineering might be in his future. I was hoping to send the boys just down the street to the U of M someday but maybe Sage will make his way to our alma mater and we'll be paying tuition to ISU's College of Engineering.
The most bittersweet part, and the part that prompted me to actually sit down and write this post, is that tonight Sage went to sleep all by himself without me laying with him. I have been laying in bed with one kid or another for 6 1/2 years and in the last couple weeks it's been clear that I need to be spending time elsewhere from 7-8:30 P.M. So, I stocked up on toys at Toys R Us, gave Sage a sticker chart and a pep talk, and prayed. I'm not going to lie, it was pretty sad. Sage went to bed crying and begging me to "protect him." I almost broke down. But my little babies have had more night time snuggles than most kids, I've gave them my best, and now I'm done. I thought tonight would be a nightmare. In the first 15 minutes of putting Sage to bed his was up to go potty, then up again to go poop. He was up again playing toys in his room, then he was up again because he wanted covered with a different blanket, and then he was up again to tell me a joke about jet ski's. Seriously. After we took care of all that he miraculously settled in and fell asleep while talking to Winnie the Pooh and Penny. He's sleeping now with his arm around Pooh and I'm kinda sad cause he used to fall asleep with his arm around me. But, this is a step in the right direction even though it means my baby is growing up. I'll just have to snuggle him all the more during the day to make sure we both get in our much needed snuggle time.
That's just a small glimpse of my little Sagey and all the wheels that are turning in his head right now. Even Aiden has noticed how Sage has changed lately but Aiden and I still look at each other and smile during the day about Sage's cute antics. Although, sometimes Aiden is completely put out by his little brother too, but mostly they love each other most of the time. I just sometimes wish I could freeze these moments. I guess that's kind of what I'm trusting this blog to do....to hold onto these memories so I can relive them someday.
Comments