We're counting down to Christmas the best way we know how....with fun things everyday!
Wednesday: The boys all watched Frosty while I was at work.
Thursday: Nothing. The boys are gone from 9-4 and we had small group at night. That was enough. ;)
Friday: We read the book It Smells Like Christmas and included every scent that was mentioned in the book on a tray to eat. :) This idea wasn't mine. I saw it on Pinterest. The book is a scratch and sniff book and as soon as I saw that I was sold. I have such fond memories of scratch and sniff stickers from growing up in the 80's. :) So, we read the book and ate oranges, apples, chocolate, candy canes, and in preparation for the book we even made ginger bread men.
Friday Bonus: Because Advent doesn't take enough time ;) we also made bird nests. We studied birds in school and as we've been going through each of the 50 states we learned the Robin was the state bird of Connecticut. So, the curriculum called for making bird nests. The curriculum authors must not have taken advent activities into account. Anyway, we made bird nests...out of chocolate of course.
Saturday: A Morning in Bethleham. This has quickly become another favorite tradition of mine. The Church we attended before we moved does a beautiful job of creating a morning for kids centered on the birth of Christ. We saw stable animals, dressed up like wise men, prepared frankencense for Baby Jesus, made picture frames, and decorated cupcakes for Jesus' Birthday. It was a delightful morning that makes my heart happy to see old friends and always a little bit sad to leave.
We have a couple things we do daily in preparation for Christmas Day. This year I bought the book The Jesse Tree and my mom was sweet enough to buy the boys a beautiful set of Jesse Tree Ornaments. Each day we read a story from the book and read the old and new testament corresponding verses, and then hang the ornament on the tree. The verses tell the big picture plan of the coming of Christ, the prophecies, and the lineage of Jesus. Each ornament represents the story and verses with a picture. It has quickly become my favorite tradition.
Wednesday: The boys all watched Frosty while I was at work.
Thursday: Nothing. The boys are gone from 9-4 and we had small group at night. That was enough. ;)
Friday: We read the book It Smells Like Christmas and included every scent that was mentioned in the book on a tray to eat. :) This idea wasn't mine. I saw it on Pinterest. The book is a scratch and sniff book and as soon as I saw that I was sold. I have such fond memories of scratch and sniff stickers from growing up in the 80's. :) So, we read the book and ate oranges, apples, chocolate, candy canes, and in preparation for the book we even made ginger bread men.
| You can't possibly add too many sugar sprinkles. |
Friday Bonus: Because Advent doesn't take enough time ;) we also made bird nests. We studied birds in school and as we've been going through each of the 50 states we learned the Robin was the state bird of Connecticut. So, the curriculum called for making bird nests. The curriculum authors must not have taken advent activities into account. Anyway, we made bird nests...out of chocolate of course.
Saturday: A Morning in Bethleham. This has quickly become another favorite tradition of mine. The Church we attended before we moved does a beautiful job of creating a morning for kids centered on the birth of Christ. We saw stable animals, dressed up like wise men, prepared frankencense for Baby Jesus, made picture frames, and decorated cupcakes for Jesus' Birthday. It was a delightful morning that makes my heart happy to see old friends and always a little bit sad to leave.
We have a couple things we do daily in preparation for Christmas Day. This year I bought the book The Jesse Tree and my mom was sweet enough to buy the boys a beautiful set of Jesse Tree Ornaments. Each day we read a story from the book and read the old and new testament corresponding verses, and then hang the ornament on the tree. The verses tell the big picture plan of the coming of Christ, the prophecies, and the lineage of Jesus. Each ornament represents the story and verses with a picture. It has quickly become my favorite tradition.
| This tradition is also something my kids can grow into. Aiden is understanding most of it this year, but they'll glean from it every year. I'm learning so much! |



Comments