I keep telling Aiden that the best part of Christmas isn't just the day, but it's the whole season. It's the anticipation, the wonder, and the honor you give the whole month of December. I love the 25 days of Christmas that we do because it makes Christmas last longer. By the time the month ends I really feel like we've given our all to our Savior's Birth. This last week has brought lots of cheer. Last Sunday we enjoyed a holiday concert at church. The boys LOVED the whole thing....the orchestra, the woodwinds, the choir and the children's choir. The entire service was lovely. The boys sang along even during the solos, but they were so happy and so much living in the moment I didn't have the heart to tell them it wasn't their turn to sing. I just let them make their joyful (off key) noise unto the Lord. Hopefully the whole balcony at church thought it as beautiful as I did. We also made Christmas Cookies. I'm not a baker so this was my one obligatory batch. The experience came complete with egg goo on the floor, but we (I) survived (barely). We made Christmas playdough and watched some Christmas movies. We also had a very impromptu family "band." Tom was playing the guitar with Sage and asked me to join in on the piano. Aiden played the drums and Sage was on the tambourine. I have it on video but as of yet I don't know how to transfer it to this blog. Take my word for it....our rendition of Joy to the World is rough...less than amateur and exactly the kind of thing I would have been embarrassed about as a kid. But my Mama heart loves it. :)
On Friday we went to the Minnesota Ballet Company's production of The Nutcracker. The boys LOVE this. In school we've been studying Tchaikovsky and specifically The Nutcracker so the boys knew the story and the characters. Aiden remembers the Ballet from last year so he kept me informed as to which scene would be next. Sage could even hum along with some of the music and that made me feel like they must be learning more than I think in school if they can hum along with Tchaikovsky. Last night we went to a live nativity and when we went to bed Sage told me he loved seeing baby Jesus. That comment alone made me feel like the whole night and the drive to go was worth it. When you're working so hard to plant all the right seeds in their little hearts sometimes it's nice to have the affirmation that all you're doing is being noticed. Tonight we lit the fourth candle, the candle of Peace, on the advent wreath and watched Mickey's Christmas Carol, a tradition started long before Aiden and Sage were even born. Monday and Tuesday I'll run around like a crazy person getting ready for the cabin. Christmas has some big surprises in store and I'm not quite ready for them yet. I posted what pictures I have, which is few. While I never use my phone camera, this week in all the business it was what I used to take snapshots of advent. But last night my phone broke and I lost all pictures. I had yet to replace my phone when, of course, my car also broke all while Tom was out of town. All that craziness is a post for another time but it's no coincidence that today was the Sunday of Peace. Jesus came to bring Peace, and not just peace in silly situations with broken phones and stalled cars, but Peace that passes understanding in the midst of turmoil and in the midst of a broken and fallen world. Today I might be weary but I'm thankful, so thankful for our reason to celebrate Christmas.
Isaiah 9:6
For to us a child is born,
On Friday we went to the Minnesota Ballet Company's production of The Nutcracker. The boys LOVE this. In school we've been studying Tchaikovsky and specifically The Nutcracker so the boys knew the story and the characters. Aiden remembers the Ballet from last year so he kept me informed as to which scene would be next. Sage could even hum along with some of the music and that made me feel like they must be learning more than I think in school if they can hum along with Tchaikovsky. Last night we went to a live nativity and when we went to bed Sage told me he loved seeing baby Jesus. That comment alone made me feel like the whole night and the drive to go was worth it. When you're working so hard to plant all the right seeds in their little hearts sometimes it's nice to have the affirmation that all you're doing is being noticed. Tonight we lit the fourth candle, the candle of Peace, on the advent wreath and watched Mickey's Christmas Carol, a tradition started long before Aiden and Sage were even born. Monday and Tuesday I'll run around like a crazy person getting ready for the cabin. Christmas has some big surprises in store and I'm not quite ready for them yet. I posted what pictures I have, which is few. While I never use my phone camera, this week in all the business it was what I used to take snapshots of advent. But last night my phone broke and I lost all pictures. I had yet to replace my phone when, of course, my car also broke all while Tom was out of town. All that craziness is a post for another time but it's no coincidence that today was the Sunday of Peace. Jesus came to bring Peace, and not just peace in silly situations with broken phones and stalled cars, but Peace that passes understanding in the midst of turmoil and in the midst of a broken and fallen world. Today I might be weary but I'm thankful, so thankful for our reason to celebrate Christmas.
Isaiah 9:6
For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
7Of the greatness of his government and peace
there will be no end.
| Christmas playdough is a favorite around here. It sparkles and smells like cinnamon and cloves. :) |
| Live Nativity. |
Comments