Skip to main content

A New Perspective

Admittedly, life with two kids ages 6 and 3 is (relatively speaking) easy. For the most part we have (finally) left behind being up in the night with babies. Everyone is able to walk to the car. Everyone can feed themselves, get themselves dressed, and speak for themselves. Missing a nap is no longer the end of the world and we can be gone for longer stretches of time and go really fun places. Even Sage can sit through 2 hour productions and can be trusted to sit through church. Life is chaotic, especially with schooling the boys at home and of course they still require a heavy amount of intentional parenting (don't we all?), but Tom and I were beginning to reclaim our lives. We've hired babysitters so we could have date night, we joined a gym and can trust the boys will be ok in the gym childcare, and we've been enjoying not having babies sleeping in our room. I had even considered taking on more hours at work and going back to school.  So, all this to say, life is about to change around here and we're having to adjust our thinking. We're going to be back to the baby stage and I'm a little afraid. Tom and I don't breed babies who sleep and I'm not looking forward to sleepless nights and weird baby schedules and lugging around a big car seat and a stroller and a gigantic diaper bag. But, it's all about perspective and this baby is going to enter this family and be greeted by 4 people who love it so, so much. I've been trying to look at all the sweet things the boys do and be happy that I get to experience the joy all over again with #3. As frustrating as our children have been when they are 3 years old, both of them have been absolutely endearing as well and sometimes I can't imagine not having a little companion around who is teetering on the edge of toddlerhood and childhood and seems to spill over with cute words and actions. I took quick pictures with my phone this week of evidence of having little boys in the house to help me remember all the sweet things that are coming my way.  I laugh at these pictures because you must look at them with "Mama eyes." While they are a reminder of the precious little years that are so fleeting, they can at times be completely exasperating. :)

This is the pile of mess (And a fairly tame one) that greets me after the boys have taken a bath. Not only do I find their "guys" laying out to dry on the bath mat, I find them scattered all over the house. I love the evidence of play they represent.

More bath toy mess. Honestly, I've almost thrown out all the bath toys recently because we're moving past that stage. When I go to take a shower and find this mess I sometimes sigh and start counting down to when our house includes a master bath. But, if we had a master bath I'd miss this evidence of play. And now I get to continue living in the bath toy stage for a few more years. ;) Yay!

This picture is why we've quit Sunday School and take the boys to church with us. Love.

Long ago I got sick of Aiden loosing his stuffed animals in the middle of the night so I tied all of them together with ribbon. But, his family of friends grew and I started to worry he would strangle himself with the ribbon. So I put all his "friends" in a delicates bag from the laundry. Everyone is accounted for, the bag is see through and has air holes so the friends can breath, and no one is at risk of being strangled in their sleep. Someday these friends will be cast aside so I'm cherishing it while I can.

20140824_180126.mp4 from Jenny on Vimeo.
This video because I had forgotten about it until now. It makes me laugh. We found out later Sage did not voluntarily eat soap. He was forced to by his older brother. Love this brotherly love and there is more coming our way. :)

Comments

It's the little things, right?!? Totally relate to your mess pictures. Sadly baby Kuphal#3 will be 3 in a blink of an eye. Plus we will visit you when you never feel like leaving. :-)
Sally said…
I felt bad for Sage with the soap and can't help but remember brotherly acts in our family. Did Aiden get a taste of his own "medicine"? Some day it will be funny. Marshmallows can make most things better. Baby 3 will most certainly be greatly loved by such a good Mama and Daddy and 2 wonderful fun loving boys, not to mention a host of aunts uncles, cousins and grandparents. We are so excited!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Creek

 A new year, a new orchard. This year we tried out Apple Creek Orchard and it was a really pretty place. We picked apples, took a hay ride, and the boys had fun with the apple slinger. We were joined by Tom's parents and it feels so good to have them now living close by instead of far away. 

Almost to the finish line.

 It's hard to believe that Aiden turns 18 in one week and walks through graduation in just one month. After more than a decade of homeschooling, 2 years of PSEO, and no less than one million moments that I'll treasure forever, my oldest will be an adult and graduated. Great things are ahead for my boy!

Happy Birthday, Cade!

 My littlest is seven and it's hard  not to be sad. We couldn't be without him, and we're so glad he's ours.  At seven years old Cade loves to do what everyone else is doing. He will NOT play by himself, and maybe it's because he's used to having someone to entertain him all the time. He loves legos and soccer. He also loves to read. I am ALWAYS finding Cade trying to tackle reading a book he probably isn't quite ready for. Lately he's been trying to read The Hobbit. While he's able to read all the words, he just doesn't have the depth of understanding to read it independently quite yet. He LOVES Tom Sawyer so he was delighted to find an abridged version to read.  Cade makes up his own mind about things. He will NOT be bossed around. He holds his own, so I don't worry about his brothers pushing him over. Cade also won't be pushed over physically. He is one tough kid. If Cade is crying, I know he is actually hurt because he never cries ove...