Skip to main content

Our First Visitors!

When Grandmommy and Grandpa called to say they were coming to visit we were so, so excited! It gave us all something really wonderful to look forward to. We had a great weekend going to church and taking Tucker for walks to the park. We spent Monday at a place called Carter Caves. We toured one of their caves, let the boys mine for gems, and spent time playing at the creek. The park was beautiful. We'll be back for sure to do more hiking trails, explore more caves, and spend more time playing in the creek. The weather has been kind of cold and really rainy so thankfully we had an ok day to visit the caves. However, I'm told it's usually really, really hot here already so I'm taking this cool weather as a gift from God to break me in slowly to the weather here. The first week we were here I really thought I would melt. All the neighbors had their AC on already even though it was only April. I refused to turn ours on bc for real, the AC in April seems ridiculous. The cool weather has been nice, maybe a little dreary but we're hanging in there. We had the fire place going to stay warm in the mornings and so that's cozy. Anyway, back to the caves....
So we bought bags filled with dirt, gems, and fossils and then the boys got to "pan" for their treasures. It was way fun and they would have done it for as long as Tom and I would have bought them bags to sift through.


The found fossils and all sorts of gems. The boys think they are rich.



We explored about a mile of cave. I was kind of disappointed the tour was guided and you couldn't just roam around, but it was still really, really interesting and pretty. This is a small pond in the cave reflecting the trees from the outside. At the end of the tour we saw a 30 foot waterfall in the cave. The waterfall wasn't quite as dramatic as I had hoped, but pretty just the same. The boys had a great time, learned somethings about stalagmites and stalactites and caves in general, and of course their imaginations were running wild.

This area outside part of the cave was so pretty. With the light the way it was it looked like an emerald city.


part of the cave


Cade loved digging and mostly just wanted to eat rocks.


Aiden mastered the art of skipping stones.

A good picture of the three of them is impossible



We gave up trying to get a good picture of them from the front.



We've got a clown in the family. :)

Comments

Sally said…
We had A WONDERFUL TIME AND I LOVE SEEING THESE PICTURES AND REMEMBERING THE JOY OF BEING WITH ALL OF YOU IN THAT BEAUTIFUL PLACE. SORRY FOR THE CAPS.

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Creek

 A new year, a new orchard. This year we tried out Apple Creek Orchard and it was a really pretty place. We picked apples, took a hay ride, and the boys had fun with the apple slinger. We were joined by Tom's parents and it feels so good to have them now living close by instead of far away. 

Almost to the finish line.

 It's hard to believe that Aiden turns 18 in one week and walks through graduation in just one month. After more than a decade of homeschooling, 2 years of PSEO, and no less than one million moments that I'll treasure forever, my oldest will be an adult and graduated. Great things are ahead for my boy!

Happy Birthday, Cade!

 My littlest is seven and it's hard  not to be sad. We couldn't be without him, and we're so glad he's ours.  At seven years old Cade loves to do what everyone else is doing. He will NOT play by himself, and maybe it's because he's used to having someone to entertain him all the time. He loves legos and soccer. He also loves to read. I am ALWAYS finding Cade trying to tackle reading a book he probably isn't quite ready for. Lately he's been trying to read The Hobbit. While he's able to read all the words, he just doesn't have the depth of understanding to read it independently quite yet. He LOVES Tom Sawyer so he was delighted to find an abridged version to read.  Cade makes up his own mind about things. He will NOT be bossed around. He holds his own, so I don't worry about his brothers pushing him over. Cade also won't be pushed over physically. He is one tough kid. If Cade is crying, I know he is actually hurt because he never cries ove...