Skip to main content

Griffith and Feil

I took the boys for ice cream a week or two ago and while I was in line this couple was small talking with us...which I've learned is the West Virginia way. I've had more conversations at the grocery store with total strangers in the past month than I've ever had ever. I will be honest and say that I don't usually strike up conversations with strangers. I'm ok with out the small talk.  However, the conversation I had while in line at the ice cream shop panned out to be beneficial. They mentioned something about a pharmacy that still had it's old fashioned soda fountain. When I heard that I was all ears and I filed the name away in my phone so I could figure out if the place really existed and if it did I wanted to go there ASAP.

As it turns out Griffith and Feil is for real. Founded in 1892 and still in existence today. It's everything I love. It's preserved history, it tells a story, it has character and charm and personality. We went there for dinner tonight and it was everything I had hoped. A brick building in a small downtown. Adorable ice cream chairs and tables. Wooden booths. A jukebox. A soda fountain. A pharmacy in the back. Details and charm and old fashioned America. It stole my heart. We ate greasy diner food. It was delish and I'm now paying for it so I'm on a detox and headed to bed but it was worth it. Small town family fun. Probably my most favorite Saturday night place.

Thanks to Tom the boys knew some of the songs in the juke box. We listened to some Beatles. Sage's favorite band as of late.



Love the chairs

The pharmacy was behind the gate in the back. It had closed for the day but the soda fountain was open.


The boys had their ice cream at the soda fountain.





Just so much history. I'm in love with this little place. 
Also this week, through a complete random chain of events, I found a park that is very similar to my boys' favorite park in St. Paul. The Park in St. Paul is definitely the remaining favorite, but this was a reminder of home and good for their souls. With the hills of Appalachia and the Ohio River behind us the scenery wasn't too bad.


To keep it real this was the conversation going home tonight from the soda fountain....
As we were driving back into town a sign read: "Central City Days! June 10-12"
Tom: Great. Just what we need. All the hicks coming out of their houses at once.
Me: Laughing hysterically.
Oh, West Virginia. At least we can laugh about it. :)

Comments

That restaurant looked amazing! So much fun for all.
Sally said…
We can hardly wait to go. I bet they know what a chocolate coke is. It looks like everyone is happy!
Jenny said…
I have been to a festival in West Virginia ... Tom isn't wrong. I hope you still went!

Also, take me to the drugstore when I come visit.

Miss all your faces!

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Creek

 A new year, a new orchard. This year we tried out Apple Creek Orchard and it was a really pretty place. We picked apples, took a hay ride, and the boys had fun with the apple slinger. We were joined by Tom's parents and it feels so good to have them now living close by instead of far away. 

Almost to the finish line.

 It's hard to believe that Aiden turns 18 in one week and walks through graduation in just one month. After more than a decade of homeschooling, 2 years of PSEO, and no less than one million moments that I'll treasure forever, my oldest will be an adult and graduated. Great things are ahead for my boy!

Happy Birthday, Cade!

 My littlest is seven and it's hard  not to be sad. We couldn't be without him, and we're so glad he's ours.  At seven years old Cade loves to do what everyone else is doing. He will NOT play by himself, and maybe it's because he's used to having someone to entertain him all the time. He loves legos and soccer. He also loves to read. I am ALWAYS finding Cade trying to tackle reading a book he probably isn't quite ready for. Lately he's been trying to read The Hobbit. While he's able to read all the words, he just doesn't have the depth of understanding to read it independently quite yet. He LOVES Tom Sawyer so he was delighted to find an abridged version to read.  Cade makes up his own mind about things. He will NOT be bossed around. He holds his own, so I don't worry about his brothers pushing him over. Cade also won't be pushed over physically. He is one tough kid. If Cade is crying, I know he is actually hurt because he never cries ove...