Skip to main content

Conquered

Each time we go to Carter Caves we hike past a cave opening that is probably 12-15 feet up the side of a rock wall. And each time Tom sees it he wants to somehow get in. And each time he has tried, he's failed...until today. Tom finally got up to the cave opening. I know he felt quite accomplished once he got in, but then he was faced with the dilemma of getting back down. He shimmied up a log to get in the cave and that wasn't an acceptable way to get down. After 20 minutes of debate he finally just jumped out. He jumped, landed with a HUGE thud, caught himself on all 4's, rolled, and then managed to pop up on his feet and try to decide if he was injured. People at the park later told us they were praying for him because it was a long way down. I didn't really realize how far down it actually was and what the impact would actually be or I would never have allowed this. I have 3 boys, but today it was clear that I actually have 4 boys and I am stressed out. The longing for adventure and the dare devil side of them is sometimes anxiety producing.
Surveying the scene.

The ascent.

When the got to the top he went belly first into standing water. He wasn't too happy about that. This opening enters into a tunnel that comes out in a different part of the wall. Without a light Tom didn't want to check it out. However, he has now said he should have explored inside because he probably won't be climbing up there again. Also, it's taller that this picture makes it look.
Success.

Anyway, after that Sage desperately wanted to shift for jewels so we did. And then we sat by the stream while the boys played. My roommate and BFF from college, Jenny,  came for the weekend and we were perfectly happy to sit and chat while the boys ran around. It was so wonderful to see a familiar face and have someone we love come to visit. I've known Jenny for longer than I've known Tom and it's very fun to take trips down memory lane and make new memories together as well.

Untitled from Jenny on Vimeo.

Sage would shift for gems for as long as Tom and I would buy him bags to do so. It's hobby that gets $$ in a very short amount of time.

Comments

You guys really are creating some amazing and beautiful memories! I really would love it if we could come out there and experience them with you sometime.

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Creek

 A new year, a new orchard. This year we tried out Apple Creek Orchard and it was a really pretty place. We picked apples, took a hay ride, and the boys had fun with the apple slinger. We were joined by Tom's parents and it feels so good to have them now living close by instead of far away. 

Almost to the finish line.

 It's hard to believe that Aiden turns 18 in one week and walks through graduation in just one month. After more than a decade of homeschooling, 2 years of PSEO, and no less than one million moments that I'll treasure forever, my oldest will be an adult and graduated. Great things are ahead for my boy!

Happy Birthday, Cade!

 My littlest is seven and it's hard  not to be sad. We couldn't be without him, and we're so glad he's ours.  At seven years old Cade loves to do what everyone else is doing. He will NOT play by himself, and maybe it's because he's used to having someone to entertain him all the time. He loves legos and soccer. He also loves to read. I am ALWAYS finding Cade trying to tackle reading a book he probably isn't quite ready for. Lately he's been trying to read The Hobbit. While he's able to read all the words, he just doesn't have the depth of understanding to read it independently quite yet. He LOVES Tom Sawyer so he was delighted to find an abridged version to read.  Cade makes up his own mind about things. He will NOT be bossed around. He holds his own, so I don't worry about his brothers pushing him over. Cade also won't be pushed over physically. He is one tough kid. If Cade is crying, I know he is actually hurt because he never cries ove...