Skip to main content

Future Olympians?

If our children compete as swimmers in the Olympics someday it will come as a shock to me. ;) Swimming lessons here have not gone well and we are not the ones to blame. So, I'll be teaching the boys to swim. And even though I taught many swimming lessons back in the day and have spent my fair share of time in the pool, I didn't really want to teach my own kids to swim, mainly because I teach them a lot and I frankly didn't want to. But it's okay and we're making progress. Aiden is at a swimming level where he listens to instruction pretty well. Just today I taught him the elementary back stroke in about 5 minutes.  He's working on the front crawl and he can tread water and use the slide in the 9 feet. Sage is still learning, he still has some fears, and he still just refuses at times. And that's ok because he's doing fine and developing basic skills on his own. In a few months when his fears subside we'll do more. For now I have to trick him and say things like, "you legs are like a motor. You can go really fast if you kick really hard." Words like ''motor" and "fast" are Sage's love language. :) Cade is happy just to be along for the ride.

Anyway, Sage tried the front crawl today on his own. He told me he wanted to be like the athletes on the Olympics. Aiden was trying the butterfly kick but he told me he discovered it on his own and wasn't trying to be an Olympian. Whatever works. :) The boys have lots and lots of laps ahead of them in order to get the strokes down and develop endurance but by cabin time next year I have high hopes for them.

Untitled from Jenny on Vimeo.

Untitled from Jenny on Vimeo.


Comments

Sally said…
They are doing great!! Good teaching Mama.

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Creek

 A new year, a new orchard. This year we tried out Apple Creek Orchard and it was a really pretty place. We picked apples, took a hay ride, and the boys had fun with the apple slinger. We were joined by Tom's parents and it feels so good to have them now living close by instead of far away. 

Almost to the finish line.

 It's hard to believe that Aiden turns 18 in one week and walks through graduation in just one month. After more than a decade of homeschooling, 2 years of PSEO, and no less than one million moments that I'll treasure forever, my oldest will be an adult and graduated. Great things are ahead for my boy!

Happy Birthday, Cade!

 My littlest is seven and it's hard  not to be sad. We couldn't be without him, and we're so glad he's ours.  At seven years old Cade loves to do what everyone else is doing. He will NOT play by himself, and maybe it's because he's used to having someone to entertain him all the time. He loves legos and soccer. He also loves to read. I am ALWAYS finding Cade trying to tackle reading a book he probably isn't quite ready for. Lately he's been trying to read The Hobbit. While he's able to read all the words, he just doesn't have the depth of understanding to read it independently quite yet. He LOVES Tom Sawyer so he was delighted to find an abridged version to read.  Cade makes up his own mind about things. He will NOT be bossed around. He holds his own, so I don't worry about his brothers pushing him over. Cade also won't be pushed over physically. He is one tough kid. If Cade is crying, I know he is actually hurt because he never cries ove...