Skip to main content

My Minnesotan Accent

Today I had to come to terms with the fact that I have a little bit of a Minnesotan accent. I'm still not used to the southern accent everyone here has. And I've been SHOCKED when people have said to me, "Where are you from? You have an accent." And when they've said that I've been totally unnerved. I've wanted to reply, "I have an accent? Have you heard yourself? Have you noticed your local new station has hired people without a Southern accent? I sound JUST LIKE the people on the news. I speak like a Midwestern. I do NOT have an accent." But I've heard it multiple times from multiple people and even Tom got called out on how he talked. So, now so I'm oversensitive to how I'm speaking and I caught myself today sounding like a Minnesotan when I used the word "about."  Blah. So maybe I do have a tiny accent. Maybe. I'm going to try hard to get rid of it. And I've honestly thought about becoming a hermit because I don't want little children with a Southern drawl.

Anyway, that's the only news in our house. Here's a video of my littles. Just another video of Cade dancing. When he rocks out extra hard he moves his hands extra fast. It's super funny. :) And then a video of my sweet Sage consoling Cade. Sometimes Cade is so unbelieveably stubborn about naptime or bedtime. I don't let him cry it out but sometimes when I'm tired of trying to get Cade to sleep I have to set him in his pack and play for a few minutes to communicate to him that I'm serious....he really does need to go to sleep. I let him cry for about 3 minutes and that usually does the trick. When I go back in to rock him, Cade finally gives in and goes to sleep. It's like a battle of the wills and Cade has to figure out that sleep is actually good for him and I know best. The boys don't love it when Cade cries and I found Sage in Cade's room trying to console him by singing him his favorite song that Tom made up and always sings when Cade cries. The song is somewhat of a miracle in that it does indeed usually calm Cade down. When I heard Sage in there singing my heart melted. My sweet little Sage has the makings of being a great big brother. Ignore the fact that Cade's room is ugly. Cade spends zero time in his room. When he is ready to move out of our bed we'll buy him furniture. Don't feel bad for Cade and his lack of a cute room. He's living the high life by sleeping in my new king sized bed. Cade takes up more space than I do in my bed. ;)
Untitled from Jenny on Vimeo.

Untitled from Jenny on Vimeo.

Comments

Sally said…
Oh that is sooo sweet! I am missing you all like crazy.

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Creek

 A new year, a new orchard. This year we tried out Apple Creek Orchard and it was a really pretty place. We picked apples, took a hay ride, and the boys had fun with the apple slinger. We were joined by Tom's parents and it feels so good to have them now living close by instead of far away. 

Almost to the finish line.

 It's hard to believe that Aiden turns 18 in one week and walks through graduation in just one month. After more than a decade of homeschooling, 2 years of PSEO, and no less than one million moments that I'll treasure forever, my oldest will be an adult and graduated. Great things are ahead for my boy!

Happy Birthday, Cade!

 My littlest is seven and it's hard  not to be sad. We couldn't be without him, and we're so glad he's ours.  At seven years old Cade loves to do what everyone else is doing. He will NOT play by himself, and maybe it's because he's used to having someone to entertain him all the time. He loves legos and soccer. He also loves to read. I am ALWAYS finding Cade trying to tackle reading a book he probably isn't quite ready for. Lately he's been trying to read The Hobbit. While he's able to read all the words, he just doesn't have the depth of understanding to read it independently quite yet. He LOVES Tom Sawyer so he was delighted to find an abridged version to read.  Cade makes up his own mind about things. He will NOT be bossed around. He holds his own, so I don't worry about his brothers pushing him over. Cade also won't be pushed over physically. He is one tough kid. If Cade is crying, I know he is actually hurt because he never cries ove...