Skip to main content

New River Gorge

I got the text on Saturday while Tom was at work. It read: Monday = New River Gorge. Tom was ready for more exploring. That meant my job was to have enough food to feed my hungry army. :) We left early and made the two hour trip East. We were closer to the mountains, but not quite there. I'm so curious about them. I know they won't be as big as the Rocky's, I've prepared myself that maybe they won't even stretch to the tree line, but I'm still hopeful. Anyway, the region was more Appalachia than here and very beautiful. We stopped at the Visitor's Center first thing and got a map and enjoyed the look out. We then drove to the first trail we chose, which was through the thick forest to a lookout of the river. Tom and the boys wanted to go farther than crabby Cade, so Cade and I headed back to the van. The forest was eerily quiet so I sang hymns the whole way hoping to draw close the Holy Spirit and fend off anything or anyone. Hah! I'm sure the two people I met on the trail thought I was crazy! Cade napped in the van and the boys enjoyed finding another lookout over the river. The view also includes the countries longest arch bridge. After that trail we looked for another trail we wanted to conquer. The options are endless but we didn't really find another spot we were happy with. Sage still likes to find a spot and just play, and that kind of place didn't exist here. The National Park was BIG, spread out, and not super user friendly. For sure we enjoyed the view and took in what we could. We probably won't make a second trip to this specific place but we still had a wonderful day together. This weekend brings a visit from my college friend, Jenny, and hopefully some much needed rest! I 'm still worn out from a day of hiking and the nights around here have been eventful...babies with stuffy noses, children falling out of bed, power outages, AC issues, uncomfortable new mattresses, you name it. Tonight I'm prayerful everyone sleeps well.

The longest arch bridge. Somewhat visible in this photo is the steam that filled the gorge. The mist coming from the hills was beautiful on the way in.


Not great of the boys, but an idea of the gorge.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Creek

 A new year, a new orchard. This year we tried out Apple Creek Orchard and it was a really pretty place. We picked apples, took a hay ride, and the boys had fun with the apple slinger. We were joined by Tom's parents and it feels so good to have them now living close by instead of far away. 

Almost to the finish line.

 It's hard to believe that Aiden turns 18 in one week and walks through graduation in just one month. After more than a decade of homeschooling, 2 years of PSEO, and no less than one million moments that I'll treasure forever, my oldest will be an adult and graduated. Great things are ahead for my boy!

Happy Birthday, Cade!

 My littlest is seven and it's hard  not to be sad. We couldn't be without him, and we're so glad he's ours.  At seven years old Cade loves to do what everyone else is doing. He will NOT play by himself, and maybe it's because he's used to having someone to entertain him all the time. He loves legos and soccer. He also loves to read. I am ALWAYS finding Cade trying to tackle reading a book he probably isn't quite ready for. Lately he's been trying to read The Hobbit. While he's able to read all the words, he just doesn't have the depth of understanding to read it independently quite yet. He LOVES Tom Sawyer so he was delighted to find an abridged version to read.  Cade makes up his own mind about things. He will NOT be bossed around. He holds his own, so I don't worry about his brothers pushing him over. Cade also won't be pushed over physically. He is one tough kid. If Cade is crying, I know he is actually hurt because he never cries ove...