Skip to main content

O Christmas Tree

I'm back tracking in my posts. I'm behind (as usual) so I've got a list of things to post here. The weekend before Thanksgiving we went to get our Christmas Tree. Tree farms are not in abundance here but we decided to go to the farm recommended by a few people. I'll be honest, Tom and both had our doubts about the place simply because this is West Virginia afterall, but we set out with good attitudes and lots of hope that this would be the perfect place. As it turns out the place wasn't that perfect. The trees that were of acceptable height had all already been reserved by others. And really, that was probably only about 20 trees. The rest of the trees were under 3 feet. We searched over 3 different fields of trees and finally just went home. Tom was really disappointed and vowed to transfer back to Minnesota the next day. ;) If only it were that easy. Anyway, after we spent the 30 minute car ride back home venting our frustrations and wallowing in our sadness, we ended up buying a tree off the lot at a hot dog stand. Only in West Virginia are there trees for sale at hot dog stands. The man we purchased from was very sweet and had been in business since the 60's so he redeemed our day with his kindness. Even though the atmosphere wasn't what we hoped and we didn't get to cut down our own, we did buy a really pretty tree and Tom got his wish of one that was 10 feet tall.

Tom wrangled the tree inside, set it up, put on the lights, and I ordered the pizza and ran errands. Then we all hung up the ornaments and enjoyed the beauty. Even though we're far away in West Virginia, this year it's fun to have "taller than we're used to" ceilings so we can have a taller tree AND we have a fireplace this year. It's cozy to sit by the fire and by the tree at the same time. :) The bonus is you can see the tree through the windows when you're outside and it looks especially pretty. I'd move home in a heart beat but real trees and 100 year old houses go very nicely together. I had aspirations of doing A LOT of Christmas decorating this year, but currently we're just decorated a normal amount. I wanted lots of real greenery and lots of lights, but Cade is actually allergic to pine and we're lacking electrical outlets. So....we're enjoying what we have. I'm probably not going to do any more decorating because tomorrow is December 1st and so we will begin celebrating the Advent season. I was explaining to the boys that Christmas is too big to celebrate for just one day and it's about being excited during the wait for Jesus to come so we celebrate everyday this month. 

Tom wants me to say that this is what a Christmas Tree Farm looks like in West Virginia. I only wish he was joking.

We're finding the humor that right behind us the sign says "Stewart's Hot Dogs"

Someday the ornaments on the tree won't be hanging in clumps near the bottom and someday the tree will have sparkly embellishments....but someday I won't have little people to decorate it and when that day comes it will be a very sad day indeed.

Comments

So glad you are back. Love your tree story, never dull for you Kuphals. Our tree was decorated the same way. Will miss that in ten years for sure!
So glad you are back. Love your tree story, never dull for you Kuphals. Our tree was decorated the same way. Will miss that in ten years for sure!
Sally said…
I was wishing for some little clumpers as my tree was pretty bare at the bottom. Love the way they decorate.

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Creek

 A new year, a new orchard. This year we tried out Apple Creek Orchard and it was a really pretty place. We picked apples, took a hay ride, and the boys had fun with the apple slinger. We were joined by Tom's parents and it feels so good to have them now living close by instead of far away. 

Almost to the finish line.

 It's hard to believe that Aiden turns 18 in one week and walks through graduation in just one month. After more than a decade of homeschooling, 2 years of PSEO, and no less than one million moments that I'll treasure forever, my oldest will be an adult and graduated. Great things are ahead for my boy!

Happy Birthday, Cade!

 My littlest is seven and it's hard  not to be sad. We couldn't be without him, and we're so glad he's ours.  At seven years old Cade loves to do what everyone else is doing. He will NOT play by himself, and maybe it's because he's used to having someone to entertain him all the time. He loves legos and soccer. He also loves to read. I am ALWAYS finding Cade trying to tackle reading a book he probably isn't quite ready for. Lately he's been trying to read The Hobbit. While he's able to read all the words, he just doesn't have the depth of understanding to read it independently quite yet. He LOVES Tom Sawyer so he was delighted to find an abridged version to read.  Cade makes up his own mind about things. He will NOT be bossed around. He holds his own, so I don't worry about his brothers pushing him over. Cade also won't be pushed over physically. He is one tough kid. If Cade is crying, I know he is actually hurt because he never cries ove...