Last night we went to The Heritage Farm's event "Christmas Way Back." We've been to Heritage Farm before and it's really a great place. It's probably one of the best things in this town. For Christmas Heritage Farm had all it's buildings and museums open, all it's buildings lit, and Christmas attractions like crafts, bonfires and s'mores, cookie decorating, sing alongs, visits with Santa, artisans selling their homemade crafts and a live Nativity.
We've toured the buildings before so we didn't spend much time doing that, but we very much enjoyed their live nativity. The narrator read the Christmas story in Luke 2 and actors played along. With it being night time and with the hills as a back drop it was so pretty and honestly moving. They incorporated several Christmas Carols into the drama and the narrator didn't end the story with the Wise Men. He continued on about Jesus, his sacrifice for mankind, and his crucifixion. At the end they played The Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah and it was beautiful. It was for sure the best part of the evening and what made the whole night worth it. To be honest, I'm kind of surprised the nativity was included since Heritage Farm is part of the Smithsonian and I'm sure it receives federal money. Their beautiful Nativity filled us with hope that perhaps not all people have written off the meaning of Christmas. The Farm was busy and this even runs for 4 nights so the gospel message will be heard by all those who attend. It was encouraging and I felt the presence of the Holy Spirit. It felt good to hear the gospel proclaimed at a public event and I even think it brought unity to those attending. I guess it's just been so long since I've heard the message of Jesus outside of church that I was just shocked. All that to say, I hope this tradition at Heritage Farm continues.
We also sat in the little log Church and sang Christmas Carols with a very talented piano player and a guitarist who is the best flat pick guitar player in the country. Tonight we lit the 2nd advent candle, read our advent stories by the fire and had cookies and cocoa. It's been a cozy weekend!
Coming soon: A Birthday Post for Sage!
We've toured the buildings before so we didn't spend much time doing that, but we very much enjoyed their live nativity. The narrator read the Christmas story in Luke 2 and actors played along. With it being night time and with the hills as a back drop it was so pretty and honestly moving. They incorporated several Christmas Carols into the drama and the narrator didn't end the story with the Wise Men. He continued on about Jesus, his sacrifice for mankind, and his crucifixion. At the end they played The Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah and it was beautiful. It was for sure the best part of the evening and what made the whole night worth it. To be honest, I'm kind of surprised the nativity was included since Heritage Farm is part of the Smithsonian and I'm sure it receives federal money. Their beautiful Nativity filled us with hope that perhaps not all people have written off the meaning of Christmas. The Farm was busy and this even runs for 4 nights so the gospel message will be heard by all those who attend. It was encouraging and I felt the presence of the Holy Spirit. It felt good to hear the gospel proclaimed at a public event and I even think it brought unity to those attending. I guess it's just been so long since I've heard the message of Jesus outside of church that I was just shocked. All that to say, I hope this tradition at Heritage Farm continues.
We also sat in the little log Church and sang Christmas Carols with a very talented piano player and a guitarist who is the best flat pick guitar player in the country. Tonight we lit the 2nd advent candle, read our advent stories by the fire and had cookies and cocoa. It's been a cozy weekend!
![]() |
| Visiting Santa. The boys asked for specific lego sets. Cade was just glad to get it over with. |




Comments