Skip to main content

Cade Luther, I love you!

Cade Luther. Oh my goodness. Can I even find the words to capture everything you are? You are the sweet little baby we never planned on, you were the laid back infant that the other two never were, and you are the wild child toddler that daily makes me pull my hair out. Your development is EXPLODING and thus you needed a post all your own so I could try to convey everything you are in a paragraph or two, because even though these days are so very long, in a heartbeat you'll be grown and I don't want to forget your sweet little self.

Cade, you are a busier little boy than I remember the other two being and I thought they were busy and quick. You cannot be contained. I cannot turn my back for a minute. You constantly climb on the counter and get into who knows what. Today I found myself flying across the room because while I was in the middle of breakfast you had climbed on the counter and were heading straight towards the carton of eggs I had yet to put away. Last week you dumped maple syrup everywhere and that was a nightmare to clean up. Your greatest obsession right now is the toilet. You have a sixth sense and you ALWAYS know when your brothers leave the bathroom door open. You make a bee line and I find all sorts of interesting things in there like my lipstick, or someone's toothbrush, or a roll of toilet paper or the trash. In a word, it's maddening. I was trying to clean this week and I turned my back only for a second and then discovered you were using the toilet brush to clean the toilet while also soaking yourself and the bathroom in toilet water. Oh my, Cade. You make me feel old because I literally cannot move fast enough to keep up with you. Lately you 've been up at 5 for some unknown reason. So maybe it's lack of sleep that explains why I showed up at Aiden's soccer game wearing my sunglasses with only one lens in them. Tom looked at me after awhile and said, "So, what's up with your glasses?" The whole story is hilarious and embarrassing all at once. The other parents thought maybe I had an eye problem or something but really I hadn't even noticed I had only one lens in my glasses. So, things are intense around here to say the least and I question my sanity daily.

However, even though you are the most intense toddler I've ever had, you are the sweetest and smartest little boy. Just this week you figured out who you are. When we look at pictures or look in the mirror and I point to you and say, "Who's that?" your response has always been, "baby." Just this week when asked, "who's that?" in a picture you've started to respond with, "Cay!!" (The name you call yourself). It was so exciting to see you figure that out!! You are also saying more and more words all the time and putting multiple words together. You still wear diapers 24/7 but you know how to go potty on the potty chair which is a great step in the right direction. You were running around diaperless because you had just used the potty chair when I heard you yell, "Mama! Pee! Floor!" Yes, you peed on the floor but kudos for telling me about it! You insist that you are not left out of anything. You hold your own with your brothers and call them "A-uh" and "Say" and join in everything they do. You also sing, and that just might be my favorite.

You are a picky eater. Just because you eat one thing one day by no means does that mean you'll eat it again. You still nurse like a newborn and that might curve your appetite a little bit but I've seen you hold out when I KNOW you are hungry just because you don't want to eat something. Sometimes you Shock me by what you eat. This week you ate Salsa Verde Chicken with Honey Lime sauce and you ate Sausage with shredded Brussel Sprouts and Pasta. But, those were the only two nights you ate dinner. You turned your nose up at chicken and rice, which was your brother's favorite at this age. The other day I put carrots on your plate while you were eating your beloved Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins. You looked at those carrots and then you looked at me and you took every single carrot off your plate and put them on the table. Then you put a bite of muffin in your mouth, looked at me again with a smug little looks and said, "Mmmmmmmm!" You are a stinker. I might have laughed really hard at that, but that doesn't change the fact that attempting to feed you stresses me out to no end.

I'm lazy and have not weaned you from nursing during the nighttime. I would REALLY like you out of my bed (or would I because these moments will never come back) but you start out the night in your big boy bed. And honestly, hearing your little feet pitter pat into my room around 10:30 each night is the cutest thing. Sometimes you even drag your huge dog "Pye" with you and the whole adorable scene is like one from the movies.  There are times in the morning that you will blow raspberries on my body just to get me to wake up and your Dad thinks that is hilarious. :)  Oh, Cade, you are sweet and tender but curious and determined. Lately I've been praying protection over you. Your name, Cade, means spirit of battle and your middle name, Luther, means people army. I've been praying you would battle in the name of the Lord and always be safe in him. I've been asking the Lord to keep you out of harms ways because my Mama's intuition tells me you might have battles to fight someday. Whether they are spiritual battles or physical battles is yet to be seen but this world is confused and chaotic and I'm praying you are always under God's wing and that your victory would be in him and for him but never in the line of fire. I love you so much it hurts, Cade. You were a happy surprise and I'm doing my best to love you and be patient with you and teach you all things I taught your brothers. I'm failing daily but pray you feel loved and that we can give each other lots of grace along the way. I tell all three of my kids this but I mean it everytime I say it....You just might be my favorite little boy.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Creek

 A new year, a new orchard. This year we tried out Apple Creek Orchard and it was a really pretty place. We picked apples, took a hay ride, and the boys had fun with the apple slinger. We were joined by Tom's parents and it feels so good to have them now living close by instead of far away. 

Almost to the finish line.

 It's hard to believe that Aiden turns 18 in one week and walks through graduation in just one month. After more than a decade of homeschooling, 2 years of PSEO, and no less than one million moments that I'll treasure forever, my oldest will be an adult and graduated. Great things are ahead for my boy!

Happy Birthday, Cade!

 My littlest is seven and it's hard  not to be sad. We couldn't be without him, and we're so glad he's ours.  At seven years old Cade loves to do what everyone else is doing. He will NOT play by himself, and maybe it's because he's used to having someone to entertain him all the time. He loves legos and soccer. He also loves to read. I am ALWAYS finding Cade trying to tackle reading a book he probably isn't quite ready for. Lately he's been trying to read The Hobbit. While he's able to read all the words, he just doesn't have the depth of understanding to read it independently quite yet. He LOVES Tom Sawyer so he was delighted to find an abridged version to read.  Cade makes up his own mind about things. He will NOT be bossed around. He holds his own, so I don't worry about his brothers pushing him over. Cade also won't be pushed over physically. He is one tough kid. If Cade is crying, I know he is actually hurt because he never cries ove...