Skip to main content

Brush Creek Falls



For the first time in our fifteen year marriage Tom is currently working a Monday through Friday schedule. To be honest, I'm not even sure how I feel about it. I long ago gave up even wishing for Saturday/Sunday weekends so it's been an adjustment. Since I much prefer to school the children when Tom isn't home, it's been great to reclaim Mondays as a full fledged school day. But a Monday through Friday work week is also a bummer because we now we have to go places on the weekends like normal people and that's when places are often crowded. We very much like going to zoos and museums during the week when no one is there. Anyway, we had wanted to have bigger plans on Labor Day, such as making a weekend trip to Niagra Falls, but we had to stay home and do some house projects and go to soccer games. We decided to just do a day trip and explore more of West Virginia on Monday. We drove to Brush Creek Falls and while it certainly wasn't Niagra, it was quiet and pretty and a lovely escape. Driving there was mostly interstate until the last 15 minutes or so and I'm sure there are questionable roads all over the country but it's easy to blame West Virginia for the road in the middle of nowhere that makes you question whether or not you're even at the right place. We were at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains taking a single lane road up....the road had no shoulder and no guard rail and it was a straight drop off. Tom was a calm driver. I (and Sage) weren't very calm passengers. But we made it in and out and soaked up the nature we all needed while we were there. The water level was higher than I expected and there were people (but NOT us) jumping off the top of the falls. I had hoped to be able to go behind the falls but with the water level what it was I wasn't up for the swim it would require. The boys explored, skipped rocks and we all just hung out and enjoyed the day. I think next time the boys want to go somewhere with more options for hiking and exploring but I could sit by a waterfall all day.













Aiden was into widdeling sticks. He's also tired in these pictures because the day before we went to the pool with a friend for 5 hours and then had a 2 hour soccer practice. ;)







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Creek

 A new year, a new orchard. This year we tried out Apple Creek Orchard and it was a really pretty place. We picked apples, took a hay ride, and the boys had fun with the apple slinger. We were joined by Tom's parents and it feels so good to have them now living close by instead of far away. 

Almost to the finish line.

 It's hard to believe that Aiden turns 18 in one week and walks through graduation in just one month. After more than a decade of homeschooling, 2 years of PSEO, and no less than one million moments that I'll treasure forever, my oldest will be an adult and graduated. Great things are ahead for my boy!

Happy Birthday, Cade!

 My littlest is seven and it's hard  not to be sad. We couldn't be without him, and we're so glad he's ours.  At seven years old Cade loves to do what everyone else is doing. He will NOT play by himself, and maybe it's because he's used to having someone to entertain him all the time. He loves legos and soccer. He also loves to read. I am ALWAYS finding Cade trying to tackle reading a book he probably isn't quite ready for. Lately he's been trying to read The Hobbit. While he's able to read all the words, he just doesn't have the depth of understanding to read it independently quite yet. He LOVES Tom Sawyer so he was delighted to find an abridged version to read.  Cade makes up his own mind about things. He will NOT be bossed around. He holds his own, so I don't worry about his brothers pushing him over. Cade also won't be pushed over physically. He is one tough kid. If Cade is crying, I know he is actually hurt because he never cries ove...