We're loving the Christmas season and soaking up everything we can. Today I told the boys that they could only read Christmas books and watch Christmas themed movies/shows until December 25th. Maybe my favorite Christmas thing I own is our collection of Christmas books. I add to our little Christmas library each year and it's growing book by book. This year I added some Christmas chapter books in hopes that as the boys get older they would become familiar stories they enjoy each year. So, we've been reading Christmas books, we watched one of our favorite Christmas movies (Home Alone) over the weekend, we've made a Christmas treat and I suffered through making a few cutout sugar cookies just so I didn't feel like a loser mom. On Friday we went to the Nutcracker Ballet. We went to the local dance studio's production this year because the daughter of our best friends from here (friends we had in Minnesota too, actually) danced the part of Clara. It was a beautiful production and Cade's commentary on the whole thing was my favorite.
C: Mama! What are those girls wearing?
M: They are called tu-tus.
C: Well, why aren't they wearing any pants??!!
Cade was thrilled with the "bad guy" (the Rat King) in the performance and couldn't understand why they had the Dance of the Snowflakes because snowflakes don't dance. :)
Last Monday night was our church Christmas party. We recently changed churches and it has been a really, really good change. Our Church had a dance party for Christmas and while we were a bit hesitant about attending, it ended up being really fun. Saturday night we went to Heritage Farm's Christmas Village like every year and loved the live Nativity play, the music in the old church and talking with Santa. Cade just can't wait for Santa to come although he's a little confused about the whole thing. He's set on giving presents to Santa and thinks he's going to stay awake so he can "see Santa's face." It'll be an interesting Christmas for sure. It's been so fun to watch Cade come to an understanding of Christ's birth. He LOVES to play with his "Baby Jesus toy" and has spent a lot of time with that play nativity set. I just love it. Yesterday he pooped his pants (don't even get me started) and the conversation went like this:
M: Cade, it is NOT ok to poop your pants. You know better. You are not a baby. You are a big boy. Jesus did not poop his pants when he was three years old.
C: Well Mama, I am NOT Jesus.
He can be kinda sassy like that and it's hard in the moment not to laugh. Just the other day he was in trouble and he ran away and hid behind the Christmas tree. I told him he needed to come out and obey right now. His response was, "Okay! OKAY! You don't have to be jerk about it." He certainly keeps us on our toes but he's so smart and he's so SO imaginative right now that I just love it.
Anyway, while we probably aren't managing special Christmas things each and every day (because school takes me a long while and we have soccer and piano and guitar to practice) we are pausing and lighting the advent candle each Sunday, doing our Jesse Tree each evening, and reading special Advent stories. I picked up a book for myself called Hidden Christmas by Timothy Keller and I'm really liking it. This season has brought spiritual growth, a deeper understanding of all that Christ's birth means and a time to pause and be thankful for the birth of our Savior. I want to savor each and every minute.
C: Mama! What are those girls wearing?
M: They are called tu-tus.
C: Well, why aren't they wearing any pants??!!
Cade was thrilled with the "bad guy" (the Rat King) in the performance and couldn't understand why they had the Dance of the Snowflakes because snowflakes don't dance. :)
Last Monday night was our church Christmas party. We recently changed churches and it has been a really, really good change. Our Church had a dance party for Christmas and while we were a bit hesitant about attending, it ended up being really fun. Saturday night we went to Heritage Farm's Christmas Village like every year and loved the live Nativity play, the music in the old church and talking with Santa. Cade just can't wait for Santa to come although he's a little confused about the whole thing. He's set on giving presents to Santa and thinks he's going to stay awake so he can "see Santa's face." It'll be an interesting Christmas for sure. It's been so fun to watch Cade come to an understanding of Christ's birth. He LOVES to play with his "Baby Jesus toy" and has spent a lot of time with that play nativity set. I just love it. Yesterday he pooped his pants (don't even get me started) and the conversation went like this:
M: Cade, it is NOT ok to poop your pants. You know better. You are not a baby. You are a big boy. Jesus did not poop his pants when he was three years old.
C: Well Mama, I am NOT Jesus.
He can be kinda sassy like that and it's hard in the moment not to laugh. Just the other day he was in trouble and he ran away and hid behind the Christmas tree. I told him he needed to come out and obey right now. His response was, "Okay! OKAY! You don't have to be jerk about it." He certainly keeps us on our toes but he's so smart and he's so SO imaginative right now that I just love it.
Anyway, while we probably aren't managing special Christmas things each and every day (because school takes me a long while and we have soccer and piano and guitar to practice) we are pausing and lighting the advent candle each Sunday, doing our Jesse Tree each evening, and reading special Advent stories. I picked up a book for myself called Hidden Christmas by Timothy Keller and I'm really liking it. This season has brought spiritual growth, a deeper understanding of all that Christ's birth means and a time to pause and be thankful for the birth of our Savior. I want to savor each and every minute.





Comments