My cousin, Mikelene, texted to see if we wanted to go Roller Skating last minute. And, YES! Of course we wanted to go roller skating! It was so fun t o have plans! I asked Cade if he was interested and he said, "You mean like shoes with wheels??" The boys have actually not been roller skating before. I explained what roller rinks were, I told them all about how I used to roller skate all the time as a kid bc the roller rink was where everyone had their birthday parties. I even had my own roller skate and LOVED to wear a cute dress and skate around on the porch like a real figure skater. I filled in the boys about boy/girl skates. I told them about how certain songs will be for couples and you have to ask a girl to skate. Aiden and Sage where absolutely horrified by this. Aiden thinks girls are still uninteresting and that's fine by us. But Cade...my little lover. He said, "Mama, do we really have to do that thing you used to do?" I said, "You mean ask a girl to skate? No. You don't have to. I doubt that will be going on tonight." And Cade was honest to goodness a little disappointed by this. He's going to be the heart throb, I just know it. :)
Anyway, Sage lost his balance and fell plenty of times but he honestly put on his roller blades and got the hang of it right away. He was whizzing by and trying to turn and spin. He's not short on confidence and he proudly told me, "Mama, I just didn't know I was going to be so good at this."
Aiden improved so much after skating for an hour. But, he is kind of clumsy and he is so very intense about everything. I told him over and over, push and glide. But that child, who was so annoyed by people doing better than him and specifically going faster than him, was literally trying to sprint in his roller blades. He was working so hard and wasmso sweaty and red cheeked that I told him several times he needed to just calm down and take it easy. Aiden took some very hard falls. In fact, when we left I for sure thought we'd be xraying Aiden's arm in the morning. He landed so hard right on his elbow and since we've walked the broken elbow road before Aiden was so nervous about it. But, although he's still really sore, I think he's getting better. I suspect some significant bruising, but hopefully nothing more.
Cade did not get the hang of the roller skates and I took a couple spills since his skates kept getting tangled in mine. It was embarrassing and it was a lot of work to skate while also holding up a 5 year old. I've had a terrible neck problem that I need to get fixed and I fell and jerked my neck really hard. I'm hoping by a miracle that snapped it back into place but as I sit here I can feel some pain down my arm again, so maybe not. I think the chiropractor is in my future.
Anyway, my kids all had a really fun time, especially Sage who didn't even want to go in the first place. Aside from Sage's guitar lesson and school that's all we did today. Tomorrow is a full day of school and I don't think we have to go anywhere except take Aiden to youth group. The boys have doctor's appointments later this week and Tom has to go into the office for dinner and meetings later this week, but other than that the week should be quiet, which I love. Depending on if we get a real tree or not, this weekend might include Christmas decorating. I can't believe our tree isn't up yet. We're usually early birds and I feel like it's already late in the season. :)






Comments